Unibody Macbook - Display out issues resolved?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hkim1983, Apr 14, 2009.

1. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Hi, I've pretty much decided that I will be purchasing a refurb UMB Macbook, but one of the things that made me hesitant on purchasing this at first were the massive horror stories I was reading on issues concerning displaying the video out either to a projector, monitor, or tv. The specific problem I'm referring to was flickering, where it would flicker so much that it would almost be unusable. At the time of my research, there was no known fix or work around outside for this, but I have not heard this issue discussed recently at all, so I was curious to know if it has been resolved?

Also, while I'm at it...does anyone have any recommendations for a good sleeve? I have very specific requirements for this sleeve:

-MUST be waterproof.
    -Must offer some protection, but I'm not expecting anything amazing here.
    -I would prefer something that is efficient in its design. I don't want unnecessary design elements. If it's just a sleeve, I would prefer for it to be compact so it could fit into a messenger bag comfortably, and if it has a strap, I would prefer that it's still thin enough that it can fit into a larger bag.
    -Would be nice if it had a shoulder strap.
    -If it has a strap, would also be nice if it had a compartment that could hold an AC Adaptor and maybe something else (like an ipod), this compartment would preferibly be waterproof as well.
    -It must be reasonably priced, I don't consider $60+ for a sleeve to be reasonably priced.

This (http://www.speckproducts.com/products/tuckpack-sleeve/notebooks-up-to-13/173) sleeve almost seems to meet all of my requirements, but I do not know if it's waterproof, and it is a bit thicker than I'd like it to be. Does anyone have any personal experiences with this?

I'm more concerned about the first issue I mentioned, but I thank everyone ahead of time for any help concerning either.

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I was worried as well, but I haven't had any issues so far, just use this the first time when connecting via MDP to VGA.

3. davynm macrumors newbie

Hey, How's it going?

I would say go ahead and buy one. I bought my macbook aluminum 2.4ghz about 4 months ago and I have not had any problems whatsoever with projectors. I use a minidisplay to vga and have not had anything go wrong with it. I have had problems with the main display however. One day I got a black column up the middle of my screen. It quickly went away but it is happening increasingly often. Here is a link to a picture of the most recent incident:

http://web.me.com/davynm/macbookscreen/Photos.html#0

I took the computer to the geniuses and I was told it is probably a problem with the hardware itself. I have to send it in for about a week to get it repaired and am really frustrated.

However, the fact that I am frustrated to be without my macbook for a week is testament to the fact that it is an awesome computer. The fact is, the computer is awesome and the problems are fixable. I debated buying mine as well but I am happy with the purchase despite the problem.

-David

4. Apple all life macrumors 6502

http://www.mygearstore.com/Products...are-SportFolio-Vertical-Sleeve-for-MacBook-13

I bought it but then I got a gift and it was the speck aftpack, so I have no need for this sleeve so if you want it I can sell it to you pm me. Sorry if this was against the rules. The sleeve seems to be water proof pretty well against rain, I wouldnt recommend putting it under water :D. And the pocket is very snug, very snug.

5. hkim1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered my macbook last night and I am quite excited about it. I appreciate everyone's input!

Aside from the speck, I was also considering this sleeve:

http://www.booqbags.com/Compact-Cases-Laptop-Sleeves/Taipan-skin-S-black

It looks pretty slick, but it does not mention if it's waterproof...

That sounds great, and I will definitely d/l and update my firmware when I receive it, thanks for the help!

It's quite unfortunate that you had to experience something like that, but I'm glad that the experience has been quite positive thus far and that you haven't run into any display-out problems. I feel a lot more confident about my purchase now, I appreciate the input.

Are you talking about the Speck at the end? Can you (or anyone) confirm that the Speck bag is indeed waterproof? What about your experiences with the bag itself? That requirement is really important for me...

6. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

with regards to the flickering. My unibody macbook works great with the 24" LED display, flickers all the time with mini displayport to dual-link dvi adapter to a 30" apple cinema display. Sometime after awake from sleep, the screen gets all fuzzy and messed. reboot is the only solution.

i had problems with apple's keynote and fullscreen on a protector, using mini displayport to vga adapter. keynote '09 kept saying not enough video memory to fullscreen, yet powerpoint in fullscreen worked without issue. That was also before the VGA adapter firmware update (haven't tried keynote since that firmware update though)

i have not output to a tv yet.

In general, using the mini displayport adapters have been a disaster. Using the mini displayport to the new MDP LED monitor has been quite flawless.

7. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Same, very annoying! This happens say 1/20 times, not much but annoying.

8. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I am using Samsung 25.5" 2693HM display for my Al-MB without ANY problem what so ever.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Uni MackBook

I would spend a few bucks extra and get the 2.4 because it comes with the bigger HD 2.4 instead of 2.0 and Backlit keyboard which I can not live without. I have my Uni MacBook 2.4 connected to a 22" Gateway HDMI Widescreen and it is clear as Crystal, also I never had any flickering issues but I also use an original Apple Mini to DVI Cable and my resolution is set to 1680X1050 without a hitch. I liked this one because it has HDMI, DVI and VGA ports all in one, I know some monitors do not have all that but some also do have them.

Here is a link but I got mine at BestBuy for $215.00

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668252.php

It is kinda funny how Dell, HP and everyone else waited to follow Apple with a Backlit keyboard. I would look at a Refurb from Apple, i have purchased a few refurb'd Items from their site and they are just as good as new without the New Pricetag, and if you don't want to waste your time following an eBay auction it is my prefered way to go. I don't know specifically if anyone carry's a waterproof case but being a big time boater check a few of these sites for bags or waterproof cases.

www.westmarine.com

www.boatersworld.com

www.cabelas.com

I have a waterprrof tote bag I bought at the first one, and it keeps all of our gear nice and dry even when it falls in the water :rolleyes:

Wicked1

10. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

11. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I bought my uni macbook 2.4 in november 2008 and i have added 4gb crucial, i plug my macbook to my hd tv via mini display port to hdmi without any problems at all, everything is smooth and the screen responds really fast, at 1920x1080 resolution. Clamshell mode or extended desktop mode, everything perfectly working 200%.