Unibody Macbook doesn't stay closed on it's side

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by simewich, Aug 6, 2009.

1. simewich macrumors newbie

So I got my situation with the faulty hinge worked out. This is how I did it.

Video demo of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lADXJ87KGyI

I dropped my Unibody Macbook off at the authorized repair shop (no Apple stores around Canada). They felt that the issue should be fixed but they needed apples go ahead, so they phoned Apple about it and they denied the claim. Next, the head technician at the shop didn’t agree with their verdict so he sent an email to Apple with a video of the problem attached. They replied with saying that it was normal and they would offer me a sleeve for free. I wanted it fixed so I took it a step further. I called 1-800-my-apple and spoke with their tech support. She felt it should be fixed to so she let me speak with her supervisor. He also felt that it wasn’t within normal spec, so he spoke with his manager (Highest level of tech support). The manager said no, all they could do for me is offer a free sleeve for it. The supervisor eventually transferred me to customer relations, where I spoke to gentlemen. I explained the problem to him and then he asked for the number of the repair shop. He spoke with the Manager of the shop and the repair was authorized.

I was on the phone for an at least an hour and a half for all of this and it wasn’t easy.

If you want the Customer Relations number and extension of the man I spoke to, send me a message at: sime_wich at hotmail dot com

Tips:

Be angry on the phone but don’t take it too far (swearing).

Some of the things I kept repeating on the phone were:

The hinge is broken; it’s as simple as that. And you guys aren’t doing
    anything about

The sleeve you’re offering me is a band aid solution.

I want it fixed before the problem gets worse

What are you going to do when my Macbooks screen cracks because something got in-between the keyboard and screen? Blame it on me?

2. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

I agree with you that it shouldn't be like that. Glad you got it fixed but a shame you had to fight your corner.

3. blizzardnorth macrumors member

I have that exact problem. I first noticed it when I put it into a laptop bag.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Same, I got a new laptop bag and notice it now. Now I am feeling slightly worried about getting it fixed... I will just wait until there are more problems.

5. Apple all life macrumors 6502

look at the thread above mine has the exact problem.

6. Takuta-Nui macrumors regular

Yeah, that worried me when I was getting my unibody in May, but the guy at My Mac Dealer told me they were confident they could get Apple to cover it if I took it to MMD. Fortunately I haven't experienced this issue. Can't be fun having to navigate the bureaucracy for something so relatively trivial.

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I had this issue. I bought the unibody MB in october after the initial release.

of course i had to exchange for a few different machines due to the "Apple QC lottery" that we all enter when buying a new apple anything.

everyone i got, including the one i settled on, had this issue. I also checked the floor models of 2 different stores, about 18 macbooks in all, and everyone had this. i think they weakend the mags on the latch to combat the whole topcase cracking issue the plastic ones had. Someone should have told the engineers that they changed to aluminum and cracking would not be an issue anymore.

anyway, i went ahead and kept the last one. I have a tote type thing that sits next to my couch and I keep my computer in it when i am at home. the computer sits vertically as it would in a bag. after a few months, I got feed up looking at it and brought it to the "Moron bar" at my local store.

I was told "it seems to be in spec, Apple really did not design them to be in that position and thats why it opens."

WHAT!!!! I asked him what was the point of putting latches in the machine then? i mean, i dont need a latch when my computer is sitting on the table flat. the ONLY!!! time you need a latch is when the computer is mobilized in a vertical position.

i got no satisfaction from them and delt with it until the 13" pro was released. funny thing is the new 13" MBP has a strong enough magnet to hold it shut in that position.

so the uMB is not designed to be moved, but the uMBP 13" is. must be one of the new features you get when upgrading to PRO!!!!!!!!!

8. simewich thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my macbook back from the repair shop today. I'm not completely satisfied with the repair they did unfortunately. It stays shut on it's side but the magnets don't have a strong grip. When I compared my mac to the 13" in the store, the macbook in the stores latch was clearly stronger.

I was wondering; is it possible to put stronger magnets in the machine? or maybe the magnets are not quire aligned? has anyone tried to squeeze another magnets by the battery or something?