Unibody Macbook Fan Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sandanders, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sandanders macrumors newbie

I got the unibody macbook the day after it came out. (the 2.0 ghz model) The fans were dead silent when I first got it unless they were really going then you could hear them. Now they always make a purring sound and at times will go into a crazy noise and it only gets worse until I shut down because I don't let it last too long because it is a horrid sound and I don't want anything getting damaged. It's coming from the left fan. I then installed fan control just to see what it was saying about my fans, I start it up and then I see this.

[​IMG]

The right fan is going at -1 rpm? So I have no idea whats going on with that. Even just this morning right after it booted up, I had nothing running but I started up photobooth because I heard the fans getting louder and it ended in this...

http://b3.s3.p.quickshareit.com/files/movie25371b88.mov

So will apple fix this? I've seen people have fan problems and say apple wouldnt fix it because they couldnt recreate the problem at the store? So what if the sound is too faint in the store and it ends up not making the loud sounds? The loud sounds are very random, just like in that video, it was taken first thing in the morning after booting up.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Either the fan isn't even spinning or it's grinding on something or non spinning correctly. Apple should take care of it. If anything, they will take it to the back where it's quiet and hopefully they'll hear it.

3. sandanders thread starter macrumors newbie

well the fan thats making the noise is definitely spinning. you can hear it come to an abrupt stop when it actually does stop...the right fan on the other hand i doubt is even spinning at all

4. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

I was trying to listen to it but I could hear a chainsaw in the background!!

I think something is just catching on it.

Apple should exchange it, they are awesome for that kind of stuff.

James

5. rd261 macrumors regular

Macbooks only have one fan, the macbook pro is the one that has 2. Fan control is reporting a value of -1 for the right fan because there's no right fan in the macbook.

6. sandanders thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for that info. still have my problem though, was just throwing in the info on the right fan just in case it had to do with anything. at least i only have to worry about 1 fan now though!

7. kelv1ntran macrumors member

is this a known problem my right fan is also at -1 ? i remember when i opened up my macbook to install the ram i only saw 1 fan in there to being with? is there 2 fans in there?

8. rd261 macrumors regular

If I were you I would take it to the genius bar. Sounds like a defective fan, and if so Apple would be your best bet. If they decide that there's no problem then kindly ask to talk to the manager, and if that doesnt work then call applecare; usually they are more willing to work with you.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL I thought this was a MacBook Pro! LMAO. That -1 reading is correct and is there for the lack of a second fan. But there still is a problem with the one fan you have though.

10. dextermorgan macrumors member

I have the same problem. They said it was defective and they would have to replace the fan. Going on three weeks since I took it in and they ordered a fan. I'm going to call tomorrow and see whats up.