Unibody MacBook in Clamshell Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nidserz, Jun 17, 2010.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi everyone,
    I have recently started using my Unibody MacBook (pro) in clamshell mode and hooked it up to an HP monitor. Everything is going smoothly.

I just have a few questions and concerns.

First, I noticed that the MacBook is getting really hot. Is it harmful? What should I do to prevent this? I am going to get an M-Stand eventually, but I can't at the moment (need a new desk, but won't have that until Christmas time).

Also, when I unplug the power cord (by accident) the computer goes to sleep. Is that normal?

Third, since I am using it in this mode and I need the power plug to use the monitor, is my battery getting harmed by being connected 24/7?

Thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. It's normal as the heat cannot dissipate through the keyboard etc. WOuldn't worry though, just check that those temps are not too hot

2. Clamshell mode only works when plugged-in so it's normal that is goes to sleep when disconnected from AC

3. It's not good but shouldn't worry about it

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I use mine in clamshell quite a bit as well, and it does get a bit warmer, but if it is getting super hot, just open the lid while it is in clamshell mode. The display won't turn on, but it will let extra heat out.

It is also normal for it to go to sleep when you unplug the power. It will not do clamshell mode when unplugged. As far as leaving it plugged in all the time, you should unplug and use it on battery power once every 3 days or so at least, and I would say draining it past 50% would be good, I usually let it go to 15 or 20%. This keeps the battery from developing a memory.

4. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks a lot. Will keep that in mind. Have opened the lid now and plan to get a stand... perhaps a BookArc for the time being. I will also use the battery once every few days.

Thanks again, always helpful!