Unibody Macbook Key Caps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phunkyjunky, Jan 14, 2009.

1. phunkyjunky macrumors newbie

Hello fellow mac users,

i've just got a unibody macbook 2.0Ghz a couple of months ago, recently i had some freak incident (while i was ripping and encoding a dvd), and a few of the key caps deformed. I've been trying to attain warranty coverage (to no avail), but its still on going. To my understanding, apple regards keyboard replacement as an entire top case replacement (costing ~$300 singapore dollars) which to me is absurd for just a couple of keys.

To my knowledge there is no other damage (none that i have been informed of). Therefore i was wondering if anyone noes, a) are there key caps replacements for the new unibody macbook for sale, i tried ifixit.com, but they only have the whtie and black macbook key caps. This brings me to my 2nd question b) are the latests last gen black macbooks (08) compatible with the current aluminium macbooks?

thanks to anyone who can help me out here

2. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

What was the accident? Pics? And could you buy a USB keyboard of eBay and use the keys from that (I know they are white, but that would look cool):D

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

4. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

Im wicked curious too!!

5. phunkyjunky thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys, i'm in a tug of war with apple customer relations officer to get my macbook repaired at a reduced cost (he's adamant that it wont get covered under warranty) and the lappy is at a authorised service center, therefore pics aren't available atm. will post them as soon as this is resolved and i get the laptop back.

grrr....apple customer service is beginning to get on my nerves

basically, my back up plan is just to get key caps (indvidiual or an entire keyboard) and replace the deformed keys. but apparently the keyboard spares for the new macbook aren't readily available yet (according to ifixit) therefore, i was hoping the the previous gen macbook key caps would be able to fit (or even as Xapphire13 pointed out, possibly from the new aluminium keyboard)

6. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Could you at least describe how the keys got damaged?

7. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I'll be the one to break the news.
    You can't replace one keyboard without replacing the whole top of the machine.
    There is no option to replace to just replace one key. You would have to replace the trackpad and everything else.
    That's why it costs so much, and also why ifixit.com doesn't have it.:(

8. LukeJG macrumors newbie

Replacement key caps

You can get pretty much any individual key cap from any Apple keyboard or laptop from http://www.thebookyard.com/apple_keycaps.php
    They have identified the various different variants of each range. I don't think there's a more comprehensive source for them.