unibody macbook, keyboard replacement??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kettlecorn, Jul 17, 2012.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

I was replacing the thermal paste and something mustve happened to the keyboard connector strip cause the keyboard is now 80% working. Keys like "y", space, "h", "n" just random keys are not working. Others are.

Is there a way to replace the keyboard without replacing the entire top case? I'm reading that you cant but couldnt' find a clear answer. There are keyboards for sale for the macbook on ebay for this particular model # so I'm not sure. This sucks........... I just got this laptop

It's the mid-2010 white macbook btw. at least the thermal paste worked, its running really cool now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Do you still have warranty? If so, then you should take it to the Apple Store to see if they can do it for you. I'm not sure if they'll charge you or not but if they do hopefully it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

4. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help! I actually found a pretty not good quality video online and it looks like you can do it. It's just a pain in the behind. There are over 50 screws to take out but it is possible to separate the keyboard from the top case it looks like so.... I may try to go this route.