Unibody Macbook + LED Cinema Display question?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lostanddamned, May 4, 2009.

1. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

First off this is my first post here etc etc, I have searched a little for the answer, but please be gentle :rolleyes:

I would like to replace my (quite OTT) Windows desktop with my laptop + one of the LED Cinema Displays (the 24" ones with the magsafe and all), however I am not really looking at getting a dual monitor display again, as I find that it takes up too much space.

My question is this - when the macbook is connected to the display, does it still go to sleep if it is shut and if so, is there any way to prevent this?

I ask because I was looking at adding a laptuk underneath the display, and then a wired keyboard + bluetooth mouse so that I basicly have a full desktop system that I can quickly detach the laptop from when I need to go. From the promotional shots of the laptuk I presume it is possible to close the macbook and have it still running, but none of the shots on the Apple store detail anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

yeap you can most definitely do that. Its called clamshell mode. I have a screen on my desk for general work, but when I need a 'laptop' i detach all the cables and can go wherever I want. I think its the best of both worlds.

When in clamshell mode obviously you have to use external mice and keyboards.

3. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Brilliant - thank you very much.

My bank balance however, is less impressed with you ;)

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

lol, I know that feeling especially being a student.

There are a couple of settings you need to change such as 'allow this computer to be woken by bluetooth' or something like that. If you need help when you finally get your setup just ask on here.