Unibody Macbook not charging after coffee spill

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by glewis, Jul 30, 2013.

1. glewis macrumors newbie

After knocking over a coffee on a unibody Macbook it won't charge. The spill was over in the top left and only a small amount which was wiped off and left out to dry in the sun.

The computer still turns on with the remaining 6% battery however the light doesn't come on when I plug in the charger. The charger does however work on a perfectly fine second Macbook. However, at the same time the computer won't boot with it plugged in but with the battery taken out.

I took it to the Apple store and they suggested replacing the whole logic board for £350! :eek:

So I had a look on iFixit and saw that the MagSafe DC-In Board is a $40 part and can be done yourself.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience of any similar problems and if it could be fixed by just fitting that small part? Would the Apple store be able to do that?

2. madmacfan, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

madmacfan macrumors 6502

The first thing I would do after a spill is open the macbook up, remove the logic board and clear up any moisture, leave to dry out and then wipe it throughly with 90% isopropyl. From what you've described, it does sound like you have a fried DC in board. If the DC in board is toast, then replacing it would fix the problem. Yes apple would be able to replace the DC in board, but expect a hefty bill running into a couple of hundred quid. You'd be better off doing it yourself, or if not confident, getting a friend to do it for you.

3. manbooobs macrumors newbie