Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tooz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
first, I did Mroogle:)

I have the Unibody Macbook 2.4Ghz stock.
It has this annoying thing where if you stand it upright, (i.e. hinge to the bottom) or on it's side the lid pops open about 1cm.

I am going into the apple store on the 17th, (a 5 hour drive) and am thinking of getting it looked into.

so.........

a) anyone else had this problem and has apple fixed it?

b) would apple replace the screen or just the magnets?

and c) (wishful thinking here) what are the chances of me getting the better quality screen? (I currently have the dodgy one)

Thanks all :)

(In Australia here)

dhuang

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Don't waste your time. I had the same issue. I was hoping they would give me an updated screen or at the very least replace the magnets.

I took my macbook in and the genius sent it off to get it "repaired." After a week of waiting, they shipped it to my door and to my dissatisfaction the hinge was "tightened" (according to the AppleCare service papers), but still loose to the point that it would slightly pop open at a vertical angle.

My advice is don't bother. I wasted time trying to get it fixed, and I only live 5 minutes away from the Apple store. 5 Hours driving plus the time away from my computer would kill me.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Definitely a "feature".

If your already going to the Apple store, I would have them look at it. If this is the sole point of the trip, you'll probably be disappointed as others haven't had the best of luck even after Apple repairs the problem.

Good luck.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I've had this happen a couple times with my 2.0ghz MacBook Al-Unibody. What I do while the computer is closed is grab the laptop by the hinge area so the base of my palm is on the back/bottom of the screen/lid and my fingers are on the bottom case and gently push with the heel of my palms.

That seems to get the hinge to stop from being lazy for a few months at a time.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Why is this such a problem? Do people generally operate their macbooks with the keyboard perpendicular to the table? :S:S

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Why is this such a problem? Do people generally operate their macbooks with the keyboard perpendicular to the table? :S:S
If you stick it in a bag it will sometimes open up. So much so that you can hear it slam shut. Unfortunately, it is doubtable that Apple will do anything to remedy the problem.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
As far as I know it happens to all notebooks that are latchless. It happens to my brothers Dell too. My new macbook hinge is pretty solid though. I think apple made the lid thin and light because of that very issue.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
As far as I know it happens to all notebooks that are latchless. It happens to my brothers Dell too. My new macbook hinge is pretty solid though. I think apple made the lid thin and light because of that very issue.

well my old whitebook is latchless and it doesnt do that...
iuno the magnets on the aluminum mbps dont seem that strong

tooz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
hmm thanks for the replys.
I'll take it in, can't hurt to ask.
also, now my superdrive is going bonkers. sometimes when I try to load disks, it takes them, trys to spin them up, (it sounds as if it's hitting something) fails, tries to spin it again, fails, and spits it out.

only weird thing is that it doesn't do it all the time...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.