Unibody Macbook Pro 15" Disaster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olliejudge, Mar 23, 2009.

1. olliejudge macrumors newbie

Okay so basically a few weeks ago my optical drive broke so I sent it off to be repaired. I then get a call saying my hard drive was broken but it was caused by force on the mac due to a dent in the case. Thing was before I had sent it everything was running fine before the optical drive was the only thing I was having trouble with. They then charged me £60 for the new drive......

After getting it back it seemed to be alright, working how it was supposed to. Then about a week ago it started running extremley slowly and started freezing while doing simple tasks, I updated the software but to no avail.

I then thought it might be the install of leopard that they put on was the problem so I decided to recover the whole mac, with an erase and install. It took me 7 attempts to get it through the whole installation. It kept giving me errors about not being able to write to MacintoshHD/Volumes, which tends to be a harddrive error, yet I just had that replaced.

So I finally got it through the install and it landed on the desktop, for some reason was still really slow, and now when I close the lid it doesn't hibernate the screen goes off but the sleep light just stays solid.

My dilemma is I am now about 5 months into my warrantee and I do not just want a replacement, I either want a fix or a refund, because to be honest I don't want to go through this whole fiasco all over again. I switched to mac because I thought it would be more reliable turns out I have had more problems with the mac than any of my past pc's.

I have also reset the pram and any other things that you reset on startup and the machine is fully updated.

Cheers

Ollie

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Still sounds like the HD, mate. I don't think you have to worry about them 'replacing' your laptop (yet...) but they sure might replace the HD they already changed out once. Hard drives are notorious for failing, even right out of the box.

Then, get an external drive and clone your primary drive setup and incrementally back it up regularly. If you need to do a re-install, it's much easier to restore everything that way, plus you don't lose anything. Just a thought...:)

3. AuntJemima macrumors newbie

HD Failure

Yeah I would assume it is HD Failure but if you call apple and your product is still under warranty and you explain exactly what you did in the previous post I am sure they will gladly replace the HD for free?!

do you live near an apple store?

Apple is not only known for ease of use but their extremely good customer service...

jgwc

4. olliejudge thread starter macrumors newbie

Backups aren't really a problem its just the constant failing laptop. I'll take it back to apple tomorrow to find out.