Unibody MacBook Pro 17" Bottom Cover 'Issue'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeyur, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mikeyur macrumors newbie

I just got my unibody 17" MBP about 2 weeks ago, and one thing I noticed immediately is that the bottom cover feels really flimsy. There is a noticeable space between the bottom cover and the internal components.

It's not really a big issue, but when I pick it up it creaks a bit and feels like a cheap PC. This is my second unibody machine, I also have a MacBook Air but never had this problem - the air back cover is solid.

Just wondering if anyone else has this on their machines and if it's normal?

It's simply cosmetic but this is the not apple build quality I am used to.

2. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I just got my 17" in today and it's the same way. Near the middle of the bottom, I can push it in, and when I sit it down on my lap it pushes in enough that it makes a noise. Maybe this is normal?

3. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Mine did that for a while, in the middle (on the inside) there are two pieces of metal that stick out and should clamp to the computer...make sure they are in place and the noise should stop.

4. taphil macrumors regular

The two clamps are actually more towards a third of the way in from the edge. So there is still a gap in between the clamps where the case can flex in. My MBP bottom does flex in a little, but it doesn't make creaking noises or concern me greatly.

5. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Same on the 15" newest unibody mbp that I had prior to selling it. Not at all rock solid. The bottom lid is quite flimsy.

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i was just going to post this about my 17inch mbp unibody ... the middle of the bottom has some flex to it .. i took the bottom cover off for a hd swap .. and i didnt see any clips or anything for the middle of the bottom piece to snap into either .. the whole computer is solid except for the bottom .. kinda disappointing for such an expensive machine:mad:

7. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I just got my new 17" and can confirm that the bottom panel does indeed creak if you apply pressure to the center.

Does take away from the overall solid feel of the machine :(

8. Ieo macrumors 6502

Just got my 13" MBP in last night and have exactly them same thing going on.

A little disappointing.....

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

Guys, stop freaking out. This is normal. It must be to protect the internals from being squashed. Well, my 17" has it, too. No issue.

10. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

yeah same with my MBP. its normal. If you dont like it take that baby to the apple store.

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

my 17inch does this too and its really bothering me ... i took the panel off and put it back and still the same thing .. plus after taking out my 500gb harddrive because of vibration .. my stock hd is vibrating as well :( and its really bothering me .. and i dont feel like taking it off again

my mom just bought a brand new mbp 15inch and there is no give on the bottom panel .. wth :mad:

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You wouldn't have noticed it nor would it have bothered so much if you had not read this thread. So funny, how MR has the strongest power of suggestion here.

13. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea its really bothering me now .. along with the slight vibrations from the stock hd

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's funny how some people consider this acceptable or normal. It may be common in many MBPs, but it is neither acceptable nor normal.

I complained about this problem at an Apple store and the genius said all of them are like this. I went to compare mine to an in-store unit, and sure enough the in-store unit was perfectly solid.

This is just poor quality control. I mean, c'mon...The bottom panel should not be of this poor quality. This is a MBP--Apple's flagship laptop. I have never had a PC feel this cheap in terms of panels.

Everything else is great though in terms of finish. The bottom panel is totally uncharacteristic of this machine.

15. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

should i bring it to the apple store ??
    or will they just blow me off

16. Rey.Avalon macrumors newbie

Sorry for reviving this topic, but mine Macbook white Unibody 13" also having the same issue, flexing creaking sound at the center of rubberized bottom cover when holding the laptop single-handly.

Anyone can confirm whether this is normal or should I take it to Apple service center? Thank you.

17. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Wow, I never noticed the flex before on my Macbook Pro 17" when pressing right in the dead center on the bottom case... However, there isn't any popping yet

18. eplenett macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with my 15" MBP. In addition to the flexing, it makes a sort of cracking sound when i press the bottom gently. Has anyone tried going to the store and complain about this? Any luck?

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Ok, now why the heck would you be pushing the bottom in gently? You have a beautiful machine. So go ahead and use it, and stop worrying about silly things. Have you tried pushing the hood on your car gently as well? It will bend.... :)

20. iKay macrumors newbie

I move my MacBook Pro 17 inch around a fair bit. I have never noticed this until reading this forums post. In all fairness I would never have thought to push in the bottom panel.

I have no issues with it sitting on my lap, on my bag, on my bed, on a desk. Never heard any creaking when putting it down.

I've had mine almost a year now and it's running fine. I've never dropped it so I don't know how the bottom panel would hold up to that.

21. itsliz89 macrumors member

I had this problem with my MBP. I would pick it up from a table and feel the bottom bend in. Very flimsy. I kept being told that it's normal but everyone else I knew who has a MPB have rock solid bottoms. I finally took my system in and was determined to have something done since all the MBPs at the store also had a rock solid bottom. Now if all of them had a flimsy bottom where I could push into it, I'd be fine with that, but mine was the only one with that problem so it's not normal. They replaced the bottom and now it's rock solid :)

22. Molly55 macrumors newbie

Me too

My brand new late 2011 MB Air has a horribly creaky bottom. I can't stand it. It flexes in a good several mm when I pick it up with one hand and makes a horrible cracking sound.

I am going right to Apple store to complain. My 10 Dell and IBM laptops that I've owned over the years felt perfectly sturdy and silent. At half the price.

No my car hood does not do this.