Unibody Macbook Pro, 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earthandtone, Feb 26, 2009.

1. earthandtone macrumors newbie

earthandtone

So i bought the unibody Macbook Pro last week. I was very happy with its speed until I opened up Imovie. The whole system started lagging on a 1 min clip. So I turned on power boost. The 9600m Gt, Helped out on the lag, but not 100% I have the 2.4 ghz model. I was thinking it could be ram, so i ordered a 4 GB kit. Hopefully more ram will help. I am using I stat widget and it says i only have 432mb free of memory. So hopefully the ram upgrade will help. Does any one know about if going to 6 gigs of ddr3 is a good idea? Apple says 4 is the max, but i read all the time you can go to 6. Also how do i upgrade to a 7200 rpm hard drive with out voiding the warranty and can you add the 500 GB 7200 to the new mac book pros? Also does any one know if the new 9600 chips will fail like the 8600. or is that why apple put in the 9400. to mask or limit the use of the 9600?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 9600M and 9400M are not afflicted by the same rut of failures as the 8600M GT.

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

How large, in size, was that clip? It really shouldn't be struggling with it. Check Activity Monitor to see what's going on and run some benchmarks to see if any fail or are lower than usual. I wouldn't put money into it until the issue is resolved, because it could be a hardware issue outside of what you are replacing. You shouldn't have to replace anything for repair yet anyway, as it is under warranty.