Unibody Macbook Pro back panel problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nanomess, Jul 30, 2009.

1. nanomess macrumors newbie

nanomess

The plastic part of the hinge that holds the aluminium back panel of the LCD on my 1G unibody macbook pro recently became separated. The glue holding the two pieces together just weakened over time. Apple just replaced the whole screen (another LG panel again). Anyone else had this problem?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

First time I've heard of it. Maybe you were just unlucky?

3. nanomess thread starter macrumors newbie

nanomess

:( Yeah, I got lucky that they didn't accuse me of accidental damage. Fortunately Applecare covered me.

4. can7ona macrumors regular

I think I may have this problem as well - on mine when I close the lid the right side has moved so the screen hangs over the base slightly and I have to push it down on the hinge for it to sit right again, basically the black plastic bit is loose from the metal case - is that what was wrong with yours? (If not I'll start a new thread)

I can't afford to take it in this week as my thesis is due on Friday but it seems to be getting worse by the day :s

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You sure it's "glued"? All previous MBP's I've dismantled had the clutch cover attached via several screws; admittedly I haven't taken a uMBP apart yet... not completely!

6. can7ona macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think it's glue - I'm not sure - I've taken some pics (it's late and I'm about to go sleep so it's dark but I think/hope they show the problem clearly enough)

I've tried to be really careful with it but I have walked up and down the stairs with the lid open which, in hindsight, may have contributed to the problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I've used the wrong image host or done something else wrong with them let me know what to change.

7. can7ona macrumors regular

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

Do you have Applecare? I would definitely call up them or go to the Apple Store. That's serious.

9. can7ona macrumors regular

Yeah I have Applecare but as I said I can't go to them until next week and it seems to be getting worse now - honestly can't think what I might have done to do this other than move it around with the lid open.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

I fear that any self-fix you do will void your AppleCare. That's why you need to bring it yourself.

11. can7ona macrumors regular

Yeah there's no way I'm going to try and fix this myself, was just trying to find out if anyone had a similar problem and could share their experience with me.

What worries me is that I can't take it in until next week and it seems to be getting worse each day.

12. ShankBorden macrumors newbie

Same problem with back panel glue

I had the same problem that you showed in the pictures. I never dropped or did anything wrong to my MBP. I was just one year out of the purchase date so my laptop was out of warranty. Apple said they would need to send it in and probably replace the whole display assembly, which would be a 800 dollar replacement.

I think thats B.S. because glue is a manufacture defect.

So I fixed it myself, using teardown manuals at ifixit.com. I basically reglued the area myself. It closes fine now. I hope it lasts.

So much engineering went into this product that I find it chincy that they used glue to make sure the hinge and panel move as one unit. Come on Apple.

13. CraigMalta macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new here.. this has just happenned to my U-MBP - I bought it late 2008,

out of warranty.. could anybody tell me what happenned with it, and whether it was solved?

also I'm based in Europe and I bought it from the US for what its worth.