Unibody Macbook Pro (bought Jan 2009) BSOD in Windows + over heating issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaboc, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jaboc macrumors newbie

I have read all the relevant threads I could find on this subject, but not enough to help me with my issue.

I was using ice packs to keep my macbook pro (2.53ghz) cool in windows xp and windows 7 due to a re-occurring black screen of death issue. During any type of gaming, in this case Titan Quest, the computer would go black and require a manual shutdown. The ice packs fully prevented this, leading me to believe that heat is the issue.

Prior to resorting to ice, I had tried fan control (smc and fan control utility for mac) to keep my fans running. No luck.

What I am wondering is if there is any viable solution to keep a macbook pro cool or preventing black screen of death?

I can no longer use ice packs, as it has resulted in slight water damage to my computer (apple is awesome and covered most of the repair cost).

I know how stupid it was for me to go to such lengths, but all I want to do is play some games on my laptop. That shouldn't be too much to ask, you know?

All help is much appreciated. I am also very open to un-orthodox solutions such as the ice packs I used before. I have considered taping up the seams before trying ice once again, but i do have limits on how far my stupidity can go before it just isn't worth it.

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

The basic problem is that MBPs really weren't built to handle the massive CPU and GPU load that modern games generate. It was built to be a razor thin, light productivity machine and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of thermal space that you find on real gaming laptops like Alienware, Dell XPS etc (your typical 17" gaming laptop is twice as thick as an MBP 17" and that's not because they can't make them thinner, it's because it would be unwise to do so). Apple prioritized quiet operation over cooling, so the machine basically has to reach melting point before the fans start spinning faster than the default 2000 rpm (this goes for both OS X and Windows). You're basically trying to use a Toyota Prius for Formula 1 racing.

Having said that, I think I've read something about successful attempts to override fan control while using Windows... if you'd be able to crank up the fans to max speed it should probably shuffle enough hot air out of the poor MBP to keep it from overheating completely.