unibody macbook pro display port loose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jenyus, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jenyus macrumors newbie

i just got a unibody macbook pro (15" 2.53ghz core2 w/4gb of ram) on craigslist and didnt think to check the display port. the minidisplay port is loose and i can only get my external monitor working by playing with the connection until it starts working. i've used a mini displayport to vga adapter and a dvi adapter also and it acts the same way. computer isnt under applecare and the genius bar said itd be about $600 to replace it. this is very frustrating since i am web developer and really need that extra screen real estate.

thanks!

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Contact the guy who you bought it from? It's his fault, he didn't mention the problem when he sold it to you.

3. jenyus thread starter macrumors newbie

i did contact him and he said it was working fine with a display that morning. but its craigslist so theres not much you can do.

4. circularforward macrumors 6502

That's too bad. I hope you can still contact the seller and get it worked out. Considering the design of the mdp and the adapters, I think it may be a common thing to watch out for. On mine, the adapter is weighed down by the dvi cable, causing the adapter end to be drooped at a slight angle against the mdp. I can see problems occurring over time if I'm not careful.

5. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Not sure if this helps, but my Apple branded Mini Display Port to DVI was loose. When I changed to a Monoprice MDP to HDMI, the connection was snug and perfect.

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

I guess that's another reason to go with the better value Monoprice!

7. jenyus thread starter macrumors newbie

my new dvi adapter is a little more snug and seems to work a little better, still not perfect though!