unibody macbook pro fans do not spin up in bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy12, Feb 25, 2009.

1. appleguy12 macrumors newbie

I'm just wondering why the fans on my unibody mbp do not spin up at all in bootcamp, even when the temps hit 80+ degrees C. On my classic mbp, the fans would automatically spin up but for some reason this is not the case on my unibody mbp. :(

2. dacaliao macrumors newbie

Heat management under boot camp has been an issue even with the latest drivers. The only time high temps tend to cause problems is when you're gaming and using non-boot camp drivers, which may cause both the GPU and CPU to enter lock state. The short term fix for this is to use SMC fan control when you're in OS X, turn it max, then reset into boot camp and the fans will stay at where you set them. If you turn the comp off then restart into boot camp, this will not work. Good luck.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. appleguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, I just noticed the fans spin up near the 87 degrees C mark. I've already experienced the black screen of death problem and the computer isn't even a week old. I'm surprised at how much hotter the unibody mbps run compared to the last gen ones even though the 9600m gt is on a smaller die. but the cpu and video card run much cooler than my last gen mbp in OS X (but heats up MUCH quicker) so has something to do with windows...

5. kolax macrumors G3

Download Fan Control 1.2 and set the following:

[​IMG]

I too suffered from black screen in Boot Camp because the fans just didn't come on at all. Was bad in OS X too - I'd be encoding video and CPU would be hitting 90'C with the fans not spinning up at all.

SMCFanControl is ok but you have to manually turn the fans on. With Fan Control 1.2, it is all done automatically, which is nice.

Note: although this is for OS X, it modifies the SMC, so sorts out the issue in Windows too.

6. appleguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some people on the apple forums have said that the black screen of death problem were gone after they got a replacement (one of the later builds) from apple. They also said that the replacement computers run a bit cooler as well (both windows and os x). So this could be a hardware issue and not simply a software issue.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Did you read what I said..? Did you even try it?

No? Didn't think so :rolleyes:

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ahhh this is so much better than SMC Fan Control, Thanks :)

9. appleguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I read what you said and yes I installed fan control, but the temperature still manages to peak out at close to 90 degrees C. Take a look at this tread, http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1882489 There are people who got their mbps replaced with ones that were manufactured recently and the problem went away. So I'm just wondering if this could be a defect in the unibody mbps that were built close to the initial launch date.

10. kolax macrumors G3

You set Fan Control up like I did in the screenshot?

Do your fans come on to 6000rpm? Is your MacBook Pro on a table?

And if yes to all the above...confirm the temperature reaches 90'C.

11. appleguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well after setting fancontrol to the highest speed possible (3500rpm), the machine still black screens after running 3dmark06. Even though the fans are now spinning at 3500rpm in windows, they seem to be stuck at that speed regardless of the increasing temps...