Unibody Macbook Pro finder slow/freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jTreu, Feb 9, 2010.

1. jTreu macrumors 6502

I have a 15" unibody MBP, one of the revisions right before the sealed in battery revision. It's running snow leopard, recently I started having slowdown problems when opening any finder windows. Whenever I open it it takes like 10-30 seconds for the window to show up and it beachballs and crawls when I try to select a file/app to open. When I don't have a finder window open everything runs fine, any ideas what could be causing this?

2. iKay macrumors newbie

I had an issue like this a week or so ago, Finder just constantly crashing, I just had to backup and reinstall Snow Leopard then fresh system again.
    There's probably a way you can do it without re-installing but if it's slowing down big time I would always just re-install anyway.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Try this: Create a new user (doesn't matter whether it's admin or not) via the Accounts preference pane. Log into that account and open a Finder window; does the same thing happen?

If this new account is fine, then your problem is either corrupt Finder preferences, which would be fixed by finding and deleting the offending preference, or some 3rd party tool you installed in your account that's screwing up Finder.

If the new account also has the problem, it's most likely some OS-level corruption (as iKay suggested) or something installed system-wide that's causing problems.

Those symptoms also fit disk failure, though. If you open up Disk Utility, does it say that the hard drive's SMART status is ok? Also try Verify Disk and see if anything is reported. Alternately, do you have a network or external drive hooked to the computer? Either of those could do the same thing if they aren't responding properly.

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

While I've never experienced this problem, I would wipe the drive and reinstall SL. Have you considered this option?

Good luck,

Habitus :apple: