Unibody Macbook Pro - how to polish?

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Got a little black scratch mark on the aluminum body, any compound or solution can fix this discoloring from scratches?

Attachments

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Use your computer... enjoy life!
Worrying about such things is a waste of time that you could be spending with your friends or relatives...

A mac is a tool, nothing else; it ages the same way you do, and you should live with that.
Be careful, and just make sure you can continue using this tool, but forget about those little details ;)

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
its powder coated; you cannot polish it without first stripping the powder coat.
its not just that....

the aluminum surface is not smooth and polished. If you polished that one area, then it will be all shiny and look funny against the rest of your matte macbook.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Got a little black scratch mark on the aluminum body, any compound or solution can fix this discoloring from scratches?
Do you have any idea what the black is from? Everyone else is correct you can't remove the scratch itself because the aluminum is anodized to protect it from tarnishing, but you can probably make it less noticeable if you can remove the black. I'd try a cloth dampened with water first. If that didn't work then maybe a cloth damped with soap and water...Windex...isopropyl alcohol...etc. Try only one "cleaner" at a time, make sure to rinse it off it doesn't work, and do so vary sparingly. Good Luck!

Yimbie

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
The iKlear stuff really makes the aluminum look polished? They don't seem to advertise it doing that.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Try a good pencil eraser. I nicked my unibody last year slightly and I put one of those awesome white mars erasers to it. Won't get rid of the gouge, but it took out all the black.

Reactions: DJBIGALmemphis

itripped

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
While I wasn't hiding any scratches, yours look like they would be completely covered by a gelaskin sticker, or something comparable. It would also help with protecting against future scratches too.

It might at least restore your love for your machine's appearance. :)

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
i use a mr.clean magic eraser to clean stuff off my macbook, works fine (just dont use that on the screen since the chemicals in the magic eraser could strip off the coatings on the screen)

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Do you have any idea what the black is from? Everyone else is correct you can't remove the scratch itself because the aluminum is anodized to protect it from tarnishing, but you can probably make it less noticeable if you can remove the black. I'd try a cloth dampened with water first. If that didn't work then maybe a cloth damped with soap and water...Windex...isopropyl alcohol...etc. Try only one "cleaner" at a time, make sure to rinse it off it doesn't work, and do so vary sparingly. Good Luck!
Best advice yet.

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Your MacBook Pro will gather little mark's as time goes by. Your just going to have to live with it.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
No, it is powder coated- not anodized. Otherwise what you call "anodization" would not chip off like it does.
Doing a quick a check of the Macs at Apple.com I found this on the MacBook Air page:

The anodized aluminum surface and stunning contours confirm MacBook Air as a feat of beautiful engineering.

Couldn't find mention of it on the MacBook Pro page though. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.