Unibody MacBook Pro + iPhone 3Gs, Cannot connect via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagos, Jul 18, 2009.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have a 17" Unibody MacBook Pro with a Bluetooth Apple Mouse and Bluetooth Apple Keyboard connected.
    This is my second iPhone 3Gs (I returned the first one because I thought the bluetooth was defective) and I cannot get it to connect.

When discoverable, it automatically shows the passcode on both the phone and the computer, since both passwords are the same, I click pair. I get an error message saying that the pairing was unsuccessful.

Would it have anything to do with the fact that my bluetooth mouse and keyboard are connected?

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Are you just sitting there waiting on the passcode screen? I know you hit pair on the iPhone but you need to hit NEXT on the passcode screen. Just keep hitting continue or next it should pair.

3. lavinci macrumors 6502

Correct, you have to approve the password for each device for a stable connection.

4. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

How stupid of me. Now it makes sense, I was just waiting as you said.

Thanks for the help.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Haha no problem. To be honest they could improve the steps on the bluetooth pairing on some devices. It doesn't really prompt you to move to the next step.

6. TBunyan macrumors newbie

A Bouquet to you and a Brick Bat to Apple

There must be 1000s of us all getting very frustrated trying to pair our phones so we can use the Bluetooth internet tethering feature. Internet tethering works brilliantly :), but because Bluetooth pairing the phone to the laptop isn't intuitive this great feature is let down badly. Apple usually makes the user interface brilliantly simple to use - but not this time :confused:. Apple should add your advice to the top of their Bluetooth troubleshooting page until they sort it out - Thanks again dissdnt, you have saved us a lot of time and frustration:D

7. MattHouston macrumors newbie

I can PAIR but cant connect

I'm able to PAIR my iPhone 3GS to my wife's MacBook Pro, but I'm unable to connect the two. Once they are paired the MacBook Pro displays "Connect to Network" in grey so as not to be available. When I attempt to connect through the iPhone bluetooth menu the connection last about 2-3 seconds (I can tell b/c the connection light flashes from red to green on the mac bluetooth preferences screen) then craps out again. Any ideas?

I've just downloaded and installed the bluetooth update and still having the same problem. Thanks in advance.

8. kousuke18 macrumors regular

The bluetooth update should fix the problem because I was having the exact same problem before the update.

9. stillill macrumors member

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9623905

There's a post on this thread that worked for me. I now have bluetooth tethering working on my 3.1.2 3G iPhone, and old macbook 2006(?) 10.5.2

First, pair the iPhone with the mac. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2756 should help if you're struggling.

1) I opened the System Preferences .
    2) Click on the Bluetooth icon.
    3) A list of bluetooth devices that are paired with my laptop is reflected on the left.
    4) I look for "Bluetooth PAN" (which is actually the iPhone paired already ) and highlight it by clicking on it.
    5) Look below the list for the "+", "-" and "<Gear>" symbols.
    6) Click on the <Gear> symbol to reveal a drop down list.
    7) Select "Show More Info" and the drop down list is modified to reveal more options. The drop down list will disappear.
    8) Click on the <Gear> again and select "Update Device Services". The Drop down list will disappear again.
    9) You'll notice that the "Bluetooth PAN - connected" green lights up and there is a connection for less than a second.
    10) At the same time (and quickly), click on the <Gear> again and select "Connect to Network".
    11) This time, the connection should hold and the Bluetooth PAN is up.

Is the most horrible workaround ever, but works. I can't believe the guy on the apple support thread found it, he must really have wanted his bluetooth tethering!

hth

10. goganon macrumors newbie

I get it all right, right until number 11 - it still doesn't keep the connection up :'(

11. chakabear13 macrumors newbie

Anybody fixed this issue?

I have the same problem right now.
    I've been searching for solution still no luck.