Unibody Macbook Pro Keyboard Cover - Trackpad / Palm Pad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DC3400, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DC3400 macrumors newbie

(1) Anyone have any experience with this keyboard cover on the unibodies:

http://www.onlycooltoys.com/products/MacBook_Ice_Keyboard_Protectors-10-2.html

The 2nd line says:

"This cover does fit the new MacBook Pro 15" introduced in Mid Oct. 08. Apple changed that model of Pro to use the same keyboard as the MacBook"

That would seem to suggest it would fit this model would it not (as its build date would appear to be mid oct. according to the macrumors reference chart):

www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail...9600MGT-MacBook+Pro&dpno=7684021#tabs_section

I e-mailed cooltools, which I found referenced on this site, but no answer.

(2) Any suggestions for a trackpad, palm rest, screen protector for this unibody model? I've ordered this speck case to try on for size so I'd like said protectors to work o.k. with the speck case if possible:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...hru+Satin+-+Black-Carrying+Cases&dpno=7705402

Not sure if I'll keep the speck as I've seen some reviews saying it may scratch (although I am not sure if they were talking about this newer model).

2. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I haven't used that particular keyboard protector, but they're all made of silicone so I'd imagine they perform similarly. I like mine well enough, but despite what others say, it still does hinder typing a little. Since it grips the keys tightly (which is of course aesthetically pleasing), it slows the downward motion of the key. It's not a big deal, but it's certainly not as smooth as naked keyboard. I've opted to get rid of my protector.

As far as the palmrest, I love my palmguard:
    http://www.moshimonde.com/palmguard.htm

I don't use a screen protector or have any real desire to have one, so I can't help you there!

3. Herrow macrumors regular

I use a Speck case to protect my Unibody MBP and it works great with the ShaggyMac Screen Protector, this has been mentioned in the forums before.

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

5. onlycooltoys macrumors newbie

Hey DC

Sorry if we missed replying to your question. Not sure why we didn't get it.

Another buyer told us there was a discussion thread here, so I found you to reply. The one you are looking at will fit the new MacBook Pro 15" models. Of note, (now) the MacBook Pro 15", the MacBook, and the UltraThin Wireless Aluminum keyboards all actually take the same cover. Just be sure to note you need the Leopard version. On the silkscreened MacBook covers, those were originally laid out for Tiger keys, so a few function keys are not screened correctly for Leopard.

Also, note that although some feel all silicone covers are the same, they are not. Our manufacturer uses high-grade silicone. And also these are thinner than some other brands. Ours are only .5mm thick. We have had buyers try others and ours, and always tell us ours are better . . . . guess if they didn't think they were the best ones they might not tell us, but usually bad news travels faster and farther than good.

Thanks for checking out the covers.