Unibody MacBook Pro (Late 2008) Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashinyjade, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ashinyjade macrumors member

ashinyjade

So, after seeing that Apple gave the new MacBook Pros 4GB of RAM at WWDC, and seeing that mine, from late 2008, only has 2GB, I would like to upgrade my RAM, using this set. I would also like to upgrade my HDD to a 320GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, which can be found here.

My questions are:

What tools will I need to install both of these into my Unibody MacBook Pro? [√]

If I insert the blank Hitachi drive into my MacBook Pro and also insert a Leopard Install Disk? Will I be able to instal OS X on the blank HDD, or will I have to transfer data to it first before doing a clean install? [√]

Are my upgrades compatible with my computer? [√]

I will check off a box when I have confirmed that I know the answer to the question.

Any feedback is appreciated here.

Sincerely,

JD

2. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Look at the OWC site where you are getting your drive and RAM and go to the tech support and then installation videos. In these videos it will tell you what tools you will need to install. You can order a kit of tools from the website that will include everything you could possibly need or you can search at a hardware store for them (Much cheaper). I bought a set of screwdrivers for around 6$ that did the job at a regular hardware store rather than buying the kit, but you can do what you want. The videos from OWC are very helpful and good so just watch those on instructions on how to install.

And when you install the new drive, you will be able to boot up from your install disk and do a clean install from there. You don't have to transfer anything because that would be pointless because you would be erasing it anyway when you did a clean install. I would do a time machine backup of your original drive and then use the migration assistant once you have installed leopard on the new one because this makes your new drive exactly like you had your old one. All settings, documents, applications, and everything will be like it was before. Migration assistant/time machine is awesome and I love how it gets you up and running extremely quickly without having to do any extra work with trying to get your files and settings back in order.

4. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Wow! Thank you very much. One useful post with everything I need to know. Really thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated. I send good luck to you.

Thanks again,

JD

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

No problem, glad to help. Good luck with your upgrades

6. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

OWC is very good a few of my friends have upgraded their macs using their hardware. You will be fine the videos are also very good

7. shadow1 macrumors member

8. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

I would totally do SSD but they are very expensive and I don't have the money right now, but I certainly will sooner or later, if you get what im saying. :D

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4GB of RAM and a 320GB 7200RPM Scorpio Black are the best upgrades.