Unibody Macbook Pro LOUD beeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnnyQuest, Dec 25, 2008.

1. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I just recieved a Macbook Pro for Christmas yay :) I turned it on, set it up and everything and then attempted to perform a software update (for OSX, iTunes, iPhoto, etc.). It downloaded, started, and then said it had to restart. I said ok, it turned off and I walked away, and then heard some REALLY loud beeps coming from it. They start off long, and get progressively shorter. The screen is black, as if it is not on, and the sleep light turns on with each beep. It will stop for about thirty seconds and then starts again. I cannot get it to turn on! I've pressed the power button, removed the battery, and NOTHING. Just beeping. Help anyone?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Congrats on your new computer. It sounds like you have this problem:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8681988

If you're describing the same thing, the issue is due to one of the following:

- Bad memory module (which would need to be replaced)
    - Bad memory slot (logic board would need to be replaced)
    - Badly seated memory module (you can actually check this yourself, if you're comfortable doing it).

So if you're comfortable, check for #3 as it's the easiest to eliminate. Otherwise make a Genius appt.

3. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

So sorry to hear about your problem. I just got a new MBP and could not imagine dealing with something like that. Talk about balloon buster! I would be the first person at the Apple store tomorrow morning! Merry Xmas and good luck!

4. JohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I think I'm just going to have to take it to an Apple Store :( thank you for your help!

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Good Luck. Best choice is to get a replacement :)