Unibody Macbook Pro low profile cases. Suggestions welcome.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tejaykay, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a skin/case/pouch for a MacBook Pro. I ordered my Unibody MBP this morning and would like to have something nice to protect it. I normally slip my notebook into my backpack so a sleeve is my favourite option. My current PowerBook is protected by an Aiino MacSkin, which has served me well.

My current research has led me to three options

1. Foof Mac Sleeves (really nice, but they don't stock the good designs for the Pro sizes)
    2. RadTech Sleevz (good reviews but not keen on the tight fitting opening)
    3. AppleSac (love this but with p&p it costs a tad too much)

Can anyone recommend any of the above, or an alternative? Also, is there a UK outlet that sells the AppleSacs?

Thanks for your time guys. All comments appreciated.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have a RadTech Sleeves for my core duo MacBook Pro, they are really nice. They do a nice job of keeping it protected from scratches.

3. aaeyers macrumors newbie

If you are just looking for a sleeve like that to protect against scratches, you could make the exact same thing for less than $5 if you know how to use a needle and thread. And then you can pick out any fabric/pattern you want.

4. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Unfortunately I don't have the ability myself, or know anyone that does. Besides, if I had a custom one that ripped; I'd never forgive myself.

5. lscangus macrumors 6502

Iamvery interestedin the foof bag,but i am curious about the protection. Any one got one can share their experience?

I live in theUK as well,anyone got any good suggestion which case to go for?

Angus

6. loganpyle macrumors member

i got the InCase Nylon Backpack and i love it. there is a really snug-fitting faux fur-lined pocket built into the back of the backpack. i'm thinking about getting a cheap sleeve as well though.

7. Sin.dc2r macrumors newbie

8. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

AppleSac purchased.

I decide to go with the original AppleSac after finding it for $33.94 (including p&p to the UK). Although initally wary of the site, other users reported that they had received their items from the store in this seperate thread. I actually purchased it through the Amazon Marketplace option. this should hopefully provide some buyer protection/confidence in delivery.

I've just started a thread on some issues over migrating my itunes library from an external hard drive to a new MBP whilst keeping all of the metadata. If you have any advice/answers. Do let me know. Thanks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6615530#post6615530

9. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I have a foof bag. I love it. It's soft and keeps my MBP warm, but I've never put it in harms way. I can't imagine it being extremely protective, as it's just a nice, freeform fabric sleeve.

Very nice though, I love it.

10. lscangus macrumors 6502

Is that the one which for the unibody or the old one?

Angus

11. eba macrumors regular

I've used the Booq Viper sleeves for years and really like them. They fit the notebook snugly and add very little weight or mass but are more substantial than a simple sleeve. It's sort of hard to describe what they're like - they have a hard nylon (I guess) shell with cushioned ridges that does a much better job of protecting the notebook.

The link above is for the version that fits the new models. I travel a lot and these sleeves do a really good job without adding much bulk.

12. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I contacted AppleSac. There are no new dimensions for the new Unibody machines. The old covers fit the new machines well, they only gave a Unibody option on their website to help buyers decide on their purchases. Here's the email:

I've receeived comfirmation that my AppleSac has been posted and have also got a tracking number from the mygearstore site. So i'm very happy on the amount of money I saved!

13. lscangus macrumors 6502

I have just bought one as well

Angus

14. brandon.vong macrumors regular

I just got the Applesac for my Unibody MBP and it is a tight fit... pretty tight so I don't know how I'm liking that. Anyone with similar problems?

15. CrazyScott macrumors member

CrazyScott

I have this Backpack as well and it is by far the best i have ever had. I also have a speck shell. With is combination my macbook pro looks like new :)