Unibody MacBook Pro Screws Hard To Get Out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirage08, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mirage08 macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having trouble getting out screws when taking their macbook pro apart? I've already stripped two I think :'( If not, what screwdriver do you use?

Cheers.

-Mirage

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Unibody MacBook Pro's need Phillips 00 screwdriver for the vast majority of the screws in the chassis. There are a handful of screws that require a Torx 6 head (the heat sink over the GPU and CPU comes to mind), and the battery requires a tri-wing to pull out.

Hope that helps!

3. simsaladimbamba

I use a Tx6 without problems on a 2009 MBP and I removed the screws at least five times now.

4. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

The new MBP uses 00 phillips and I think it's a T6 torx for the hdd.

5. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

dude, you need to use a proper screw driver.

if you're stripping screws, your screw driver is either the wrong size or the wrong shape. they're not all created equally.

get one from this set

http://www.professionalequipment.com/craftsman-micro-screwdriver-set-9-41633/tool-kit/

or all of them. they should be sold individually at your local Sears/Hardware store. Or Amazon or wherever. they will look *exactly* like that. they're simply the best micro tools.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

http://www.amazon.com/Maxtech-16521MX-32-Piece-Precision-Bit/dp/B000MF754W/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b

I have a set similar to that. It'll save a few bucks if that's important. You must use precisely the right driver. Start by pushing in, then turn slowly. Use a bright light and a magnifying glass to see what you are doing. Sometimes you think it's turning when it's not, so you strip it.

Just push in firmly...

ifixit.com has great directions and will tell you which driver you need for each task. They also sell individual ones.

7. Mirage08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey 8Core. You know if those screw drivers are hardened? or do they work very well for you. The cheap phillips 000 that I got from amazon for a few bucks literally snapped off at the tip whenever I was trying to unscrew a logic board screw.

Thanks.

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

I recommend Wiha screwdrivers for this. I know they're kinda pricey, but so is trying to remove a stripped screw. Will take a well made German screwdriver over the made in China crap that Craftsman uses these days.

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my mid_2010 15" MBP RAM to 8GB, and did find the screws to be tight. You have to apply quite a bit of pressure to prevent the screwdriver from slipping out. That's because the screw threads are secured with Loctite, so subsequent removals should be easier.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Thanks for the Wiha info looks like good stuff. Gonna get a set of four screwdrivers. Do they come magnetized? There's a block for $5 wiha from amazon but I'm afraid that block could do some harm if I didn't store it correctly lol.