Unibody MacBook Pro won't sleep at all

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GossipGirl, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GossipGirl macrumors member

Hey all :)

My MacBook Pro started being weird yesterday. First of all the space bar stopped working - it wouldn't respond at all, or it would act like it was being held down, even though it wasn't.

Now it won't sleep - at all. If I close the lid, the light stays solid, dims once, then comes back solid, and the computer turns back on (the Apple logo lights back up etc). If I choose Sleep from the Apple menu with the screen open - the same thing happens, it sleeps for a second, then wakes back up.

I've reset the SMU and PRAM. I can't think of anything else to do.

This computer is currently on eBay and someone has bid £1,400 on it, I don't want to send it away knowing it has a problem.

Just FYI its a 2009 MacBook Pro 17" with built-in battery.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are there any peripherals hooked up to it? Try unhooking everything to see of that helps.

Also select the sleep option from the apple menu to see of that produces any different results.

3. GossipGirl thread starter macrumors member

None.
    I said I had already done that ;)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oops - sorry about that.

Try an archive and install of the OS

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

By SMU did you mean SMC? If the spacebar is acting like it's being pressed down, that's probably why it won't sleep, thinks the spacebar is being used. Could there be some crumbs or something under the spacebar? Try some canned air. Try vacuuming it. While turned off, try holding it with the keyboard facing down and gently shaking it.

6. GossipGirl thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I should have mentioned the space bar issues randomly corrected themselves.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What about the SMU question?

Did you check Activity Monitor to see if anything is running that you're not aware of that could be keeping it awake? Could it be connected to something on the network that it's keeping access to?

8. GossipGirl thread starter macrumors member

Not that I can see.

9. GossipGirl thread starter macrumors member

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Since you're selling it, why don't you erase the HD and do a fresh install of the OS, that will eliminate anything software related. If it's still doing it after a fresh install then it's probably hardware related. IMHO, I wouldn't sell a Mac without doing a clean install.

11. GossipGirl thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'd be doing a clean install upon picking up my new one. I guess I just have to assume its software related and hope for the best :/

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You could try creating a new user and see if it still has the sleep problem. If it doesn't that would mean that it's something in your current user account.