Unibody Macbook Screw Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukebound85, Jun 16, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does anyone know what the screw size is for the bottom case screws and the 2 hard drive bracket screws are?

I need to replace some

Anyone know where I can get these screws? Had taken it to Apple store and they couldn't help

2. miicah macrumors regular

The apple store should have them, failing that maybe ebay or ifixit?

You aren't going to find them in a hardware store, that's for sure.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

The apple store didnt have any and ifixit will charge ~90 dollars to get the 3 screws I need as they make you buy a complete set

4. AshMan macrumors regular

You could try a hobby store they may carry some small enough. Otherwise could always try eBay.

5. dystom macrumors newbie

Macbook lower case screws

I bought a precision set of Philips screw drivers and the macbook screw set after being advised that the lower case screws are PH00 size. However after holding the thread between fingers I could not properly turn the screw and noticed the driver fit looked wrong. Tried the PH0 driver, which turned the screw but fit still looks odd.
    After investigation on wiki it look like the screws are JIS the Japanese equivalent of Philips where JIS drivers fit both JIS screws and Philips screws, but Philips drivers are too pointy to fit and can damage the screws. Theoretically if you grind off the tip the Philips driver should fit.
    Can anyone confirm this?

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Buy a complete set on eBay for $15. It's worth while to have around.

When buying parts, use iFixit, multiply the price they are charging by 0.20 to 0.10 to get the price you should actually pay for the part.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'm surprised the Apple store doesn't have the bottom case screws. They will not have the HDD bracket you should buy on ebay. Which machine are you using? I bought mine on ebay.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

while I no longer have it, it was the mid 2010 white macbook. I had the bottom cover replaced where I obtained a whole set of screws. I have them all in a plastic bag as a backup for my current 2012 machine

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

This is what happens when I don't look at the date of the OP. I think I was on my phone when I posted that reply.