Unibody Macbook Superdrive Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kev63, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Kev63 macrumors newbie

My superdrive for some reason seems blocked when i try to insert a CD. But if i keep taking the cd in and out (It goes in half way before meeting blockage) it will usually work afte a while. It's not meant to be like that right? Its a pain

If the CD is accepted tho, the drive makes lots of clunking noises for a few seconds :S Is that normal too?

Any help would be appreciated guys.

P.S. Its a unibody so brand new yet i lost my receipt so can't take it back the shop to get fixed :( The laptop hasnt even been out for 12months so do you think they may fix it (if need be) under warranty without recepit?

2. California macrumors 68040

California

If you know the date you bought the Macbook, the store should be able to email it to you.

Of course Apple will replace the drive. Just take it in.

3. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ebay'd the laptop brand new matey. Was an unwanted present but i was sure i got the receipt. Looks like ive lost it :S

You think its dodgey then?

Kev

4. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

So is an apple warranty automatically voided without sales receipt?

Kev

5. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

no, when going to the apple store they don't ask you to bring a recipt.. but if theres anything wrong with your applecare date, you can't prove it w/out the recipt.. the clunking noise is normal, but the blockage isn't.. go to a genius bar at the apple store

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

unwanted present? you could give it to me. I very much want your "unwanted" present. but yea, take it to the applestore. since it's a unibody, they won't need much evidence that it is under the 1 year standard warranty for defective parts. it was released in october, so it's still under the 1 year umbrella.

8. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Your Applecare would start from the date the computer was bought by the original owner on eBay. Your Applecare will not be voided without the receipt... have you registered the serial number to yourself?

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

You should register the serial number on apple.com prior to visiting the apple store. This may save you time on explanations, which is time that could be better spent repairing your problem.

10. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

The laptop was brand new - I think i registered it when i set it up. How could i check?

I did check my serial number on apples website and it says ive got phone support still and warranty till October. Just no mention of name.

11. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from someone who regarded it as an unwanted present lol.

12. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

You should be fine.:D I have had a couple of iPods that I could not find the sales slip and it was no problem at the apple store. :D

13. Donza macrumors member

Had excactly same issue with my superdrive. Finally one cd got stuck in. Now its in repair and they are probably going to replace the superdrive.

14. Qinetic macrumors member

Is this a common problem with the new Alu Macbooks?

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Mine did the same thing a couple of times, but i just pressed the disc in just a tad bit harder, and now i don't have a problem with it anymore, it works every time.
    The noises/pops are normal.. hey if it works, that's all that matters to me!

16. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

You should get it fixed with your applecare warranty, i mean, it could get worse in the future..
    Just givin' ya my advice..

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

But there's nothing to get fixed... I can't just take it in there and tell them what it did a couple of times a while back! The fact is it works just fine now.

EDIT: or where you talking to the OP and just using my comment as a reference?!?