Unibody MacBook: Trackpad Tap to Click stops working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beneventi, Mar 28, 2009.

1. beneventi macrumors member

Hello, I have an Unibody MacBook. I've experienced that under OS X "Tap to Click" function of the trackpad stops to work after "some" usage.
    Then I go to System Preferences, disable the feature, reenable it and it starts working again.

OS X is updated and firmware updates are all installed. Can anyone explain me how to solve the problem?

Best regards

Alessandro

2. xkylar macrumors newbie

I get the same problem too whenever I reboot my system from windows (via boot camp). I'm not sure what the workaround is either, all I can do is disable then enable again through the system preference.

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I get it sometimes when I open the lid from sleep. Don't have Windows installed.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I also get it on my MBP whenever i boot out of Bootcamp Windows, and then back into Mac, but i fix it by going to System Preferences --> Trackpad --> Tap To Click, turn it off then back on again :)

5. lamadude macrumors 6502

I have the same problem on an early 08 mbp, every time I have used bootcamp my tap to click stops working and I need to re-enable it. Not a big problem but gets annoying after the 100th time, apple should fix this.

6. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

Me too.

7. roxy031 macrumors newbie

Same here. MacBook Pro Unibody, a month old... it usually stops working after a week or so, and restarting fixes it (I haven't tried disabling "tap to click" and re-enabling it). It's not a huge deal but it is annoying. I'm going to call Apple this week and see what they say about it since it seems to be a common problem.

8. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Happens to me, too, and no software update seems to fix it. Hopefully it will work in Snow Leopard.

9. 3Gmatt macrumors newbie

Yep, just happened to me as well. Can't say for sure when it started as I normally use a mouse, but this is the first time I've noticed it. Disabled -> Enabled to fix.

Interesting to see it is a common problem. Imagine there will be an update to fix?

10. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

After a Boot Camp session, my trackpad's tap to click ceases to work, too.

11. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Same here, gotta uncheck and check it again to make it work.

12. jawadkcl macrumors newbie

Me too - trackpad clicking almost unusable due to it.

It's so frequent now that I have to start getting used to the mouse button again. Very disappointing, Apple!

(Only one year old MBP. No Windows installed. Disabling & re-enabling makes it start working again.)

13. tvamvarg macrumors newbie

Mee too.
    Have Boot Camp installed but never use it.

14. Zirtavia macrumors newbie

Same thing, though I've never used Boot Camp. This is the first time it's happened.

15. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Since having upgraded to Snow Leopard, I never experienced this behavior again.

16. Avatar Tempus macrumors newbie

17. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Again, the same thing with me. Snow Leopard installed. :confused:

18. Spansule macrumors newbie

I'm digging up an old thread here, but my MBP just did this to me again this morning (tap to click didn't work, had to go to setting and disable then enable the setting). This is on my work machine, but it happens on my personal machine as well. Both are current model MBP's (one 17", one 15") and Snow Leopard installed and patched up to rev.

Mine always do it when coming out of sleep.

I got frustrated with it this morning and started googling around found this thread. Has anyone run across a solution?

Maybe I need to write a script and hook it to the wake event that will disable and then enable the setting.

19. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Same thing happens to me (and I don't use boot camp, per the above posts). It happens occasionally, I have to go in, uncheck and then recheck tap to click. Glad it's not just me.

20. babucher macrumors newbie

Have any true solutions to this been found as of yet? I'm getting the same thing. My trackpad loses the ability to "tap to click" even though the box is still checked in the Trackpad system preferences. To get it working again I do the uncheck, recheck thing, and it's happening every few minutes now.

I should note that what seems to happen between "Tap to click working" and "Tap to click not working" is that my system goes into a key-repeat mode. That is, for example, I'll be typing and my sssssssss key will start repeating until I hit escape. Then, Tap-to-click no longer works and I have to uncheck/check.

Macbook Pro 4,1
    OSX 10.5.8

This was the only thread I could find on the problem. If anyone can point me to further resources I would appreciate it.

Thanks