Unibody MacBooks run cooler than previous MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MBHockey, Mar 22, 2009.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro (santa rosa) that I purchased in october of 2007 and I'm curious if the new Unibody MacBooks run noticeably cooler than this computer.

Any previous-gen MBP owners have Unibody MacBooks now and could offer some insight?

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Much cooler when I compare them in the stores. When they've been left on for hours as a demo display, the unibody Macbook is only lukewarm at the bottom. The SR MBP is actually fairly hot to the touch.

3. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

the new alu macbooks runs significantly cooler than my 2.2 black macbook. I could literally cook an egg if it was at 100% for +5 minutes.

When I went to the apple store a couple weeks ago, I had alot of apps open (safari playing Knight Rider, youtube), iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, Activity Monitor, and it the 2.4 MacBook didn't even break a sweat. Unfortunately I couldn't determine the temperatures because apple blocks those installs.

Every since, I have been lusting for one. But will wait until next year, I still :apple: my blackbook

4. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

Yeah, I remember using my cousin's MacBook Pro and it was running hot, but mine doesn't run as hot. She had the previous model. :rolleyes:

5. lankox macrumors regular

I went from a 2.2 SR MBP to a 2.4 Alum MB and the MB runs a little cooler, not anything significant.

6. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What kind of applications do you run regularly?

7. lankox macrumors regular

Running itunes, mail, safari, word the MB runs at 113 degrees F. Running videos, flash, runs at 140 F. Running RSS Screensaver, 140 F. Running iDVD encoding, 165 F.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, the older model is a real nut roaster compared to the current uni mb's. I have a friend who was using her prior gen 17" on the internet for an hour, and I almost dropped it :eek: after picking it up!

9. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for that info, it's really helpful.

haha, nut roaster :p

10. lazydesi macrumors 6502

11. Spadoinkles :) macrumors newbie

Comparing my old white 3rd gen macbook to my friends' 2.0 and 2.4GhZ macbooks (2 diff friends lol)
    We were idling pretty much the same thing, playing the same song on itunes (tripling volume or trying to lol) and usual chatting on msn... mine did about 60 degrees and 3000rpm, the alus were doing ~45 and 2000 rpm. Much much cooler.

I think one day if my Mac ever died and there was never anything I could do to fix it and I couldn't sell it, I'd cook my dinner on it. :p

12. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

well the new unibody macbooks run way cooler than the old plasticbooks those felt like they were melting

13. jonicus macrumors newbie

Definitely cooler

I have a Macbook Pro I bought in April of 2006 and even WITH smcFan control at 3,000 RPM's it's still pretty damn hot. The new Macbook 13" (silver) runs way cooler without any additional fan functionality. I am very surprised. However I haven't tried video editing or any processor-intensive procedures yet so that remains to be seen. However working on it for 8 hours yields only a slight warmth, certainly not the scorching heat of previous models.

Could they have finally resolved this issue?