unibody macbrook pro to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjs862, Jul 12, 2009.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I plan on connecting my umbp to my high def tv with a mini displayport to hdmi converter. I am under the impression that the mdp does not support audio. My question is if I connect my mac to my tv via hdmi would i be able to feed the audio to the tv with optical and be able to listen and watch at the same time. If not what are some other ways around this, I would hate to feed the audio to a separate set of speakers

2. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

There are a few threads pretty recently posted about this. Please use the forum search next time. :D

However, monoprice is coming out with a USB and MDP to HDMI audio-built in cable (audio's handled through the USB)

Your suggestion will also work. Take a poke around Google. I'm in the same boat, so I have a little knowledge about this. It's too late tonight for me though to go into more detail. :p

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I'm not sure if you have the "box of cables" sitting around the house like some of us may, but you might want to try a small stereo to RCA cable. You should be able to run that from the headphone jack to the TV for stereo.

I'm pretty sure monoprice has (or will soon have) a minidisplayport + USB cable that goes into an HDMI connector. Sounds pretty slick to me.