Unibody makes clicking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Sep 10, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know the hard drives click and stop spinning as a safety measure when it detects too much movement. Perhaps the Sudden Motion Sensor is borked?

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

No I really don't thats the case. It sounds like its from the case, and the noise is so "rapid," I don't think the Sudden Motion Sensor is going off.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Anyone else? I'd also like to mention this noise is on and off. Sometimes it makes it, sometimes not.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

My 13" MBP does it too. Apparently they released a fix for it (but for 7200rpm drives), as mine is 5400rpm the clicking is still there.

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I don't think ANYONE understands me. It has to do with the actual unibody frame, not the HDD.

7. celticpride678

My UniBody notebook does not do that. Take it to Apple and have them take a look.

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

You were reporting a trackpad clicking noise a couple months ago, right? Is this the same thing?

Several people have reported similar problems. If you MRoogle "unibody macbook clicking noise" you can find some other threads about it.

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

could be different surfaces its not sitting evenly on...or the structure of the plate on the bottom..the removable cover might not be completely flush or tightened too tight.

recommendation would be to take it in, see if they can adjust the removable cover or replace it if it is in fact the issue.

or try a speck case to put it in....

10. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Hmmm I was going to say I had the same issue but after watching your video I would have to say my seems to be coming from the under side of the notebook. I figures it was because I opened the case and because I did that the bottom of the case wasn't as tightly held in place. Mine also doesn't happen as often as yours though.

I would take that into apple and request that they do something about it

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok thanks I'll plan to make a trip sometime soon.

12. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

My 17" makes the same noise when I open the lid. For the longest time I thought it was the hinge, until I took the bottom off and it stopped. When I put the bottom back on it was gone for a day then came back.

I've thought about calling about it because it is pretty annoying.

13. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Same thing happens to me. I think I've gotten rid of it, and then the next day it comes right back.