Unibody MB top case replacement and keyboard problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheNathan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TheNathan macrumors newbie

I got my refurbed 2.4 unibody MB less than 2 weeks ago and just took it to the Apple Store because the very far right side of my spacebar stopped working, and I had a few slanted keys in various places on the keyboard too. The genius at the store told me they needed to replace the top case (metal chassis w/keyboard & trackpad built-in?) and it would take 3-5 days.

Anybody else had problems with slanted keys OTHER than the function row? Anybody else had a top case replacement for this or other reasons?

I'm nervous that I'm going to get my MB back and the new top case will be installed crooked or worse than the old one. Or the hard drive will be wiped and I'll have to re-install all my programs and iTunes/iPhoto libraries. I was loving the MB, with the spacebar failure being the only real problem... worried it's going to come back more messed up than it was. Am I just being paranoid?

(Thanks for being patient... I just made the switch from PC to Mac and I had NIGHTMARISH dealings w/HP repairs/customer service so I'm nervous about my expensive new baby...)

----- UPDATE -----

Just got my MB back - man, that was fast! I dropped it off Wed morning and it was ready about the same time Fri morning... excellent!

Results? Spacebar works now. Top case is generally better aligned now, no lid overhang (there was slight lip before), bottom edges feel smoother. Hard drive not wiped(!!!!!!!). BUT, now I have the dreaded slanted function row keys!! They're not toooo bad, but definitely noticeable immediately. Also, there's now 1 scuff/scratch on my lid, and the black plastic hinge now has a scuff but it's all the way on the left against the metal, so it's not very noticeable.

So, I think I'm happy with the results... Should I just live with the slanted function keys?

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

The MacBook is unibody, so to replace a few keys, you have to replace the whole top case.
    And don't worry, it's Apple not HP, just read people's testimonies on AppleCare. :D

3. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Did you honestly call your computer your baby? Computers seem to be dominating people's life, just a little bit too much.

:p I'm just teasing,
    But nope, I've never had that problemo.

4. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Yea some ppl have had problems with slanted keys but dont worry apple is pretty good about there repairs.