Unibody MB VS Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobbytomorow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I know this has probably been asked a zillion times here but I just can not decide. I had my 13" unibody stolen a couple of weeks ago and my insurance is covering it. So now I am trying to decide if I should throw in a few hundred extra for the MBP unibody or just stick with the Unibody MB. My MB was the base line 2GHz Unibody and I did wish that I had a backlit keyboard and higher quality screen because I used it at night almost exclusively. Although on the other hand I really loved the portability of the 13" footprint.

So I have been in and out of the Apple store in the past week trying to figure out which is the wiser choice. Portability vs higher specs and better screen....:confused:

If money was not an issue what would you guys choose?

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

15" MBP is more than portable enough, and also has a much higher quality screen that the macbook.

But just look at my sig :)

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Sounds like the regular Macbook suits you well. I would pay a little extra for the 2.4 model this time if you really want the backlight keyboard though.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

how happy were you with the macbook when you had it? were you contented or did you always secretly want a mbp and catch yourself sneaking a peek at those with a mbp at starbucks?

If you were completely content with your macbook, then get another one :) it's great. If not, now is the time to see if the grass is greener on the other side. Either computer you choose I'm sure you'll be happy.

One thing though: if you liked the macbook for portability then dont get the macbook pro. While not much heavier on paper, you can feel the difference in hand or in your bag.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the top model MB is in the Refurb store for $1299 with the same warranty as the new base MB you had...get that...

6. Milfette macrumors newbie

Milfette

MB screen is pretty hard to get used to, but other than that the 2.4 is pretty awesome. If i could get the MbP i would, i just cant remember if it has the backlight keyboard off the top of my head because that is super easy to learn to love.

7. nutritious macrumors 6502

little higher quality, yeah, but both are TN

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If money wasn't an issue I'd get the Pro, as would pretty much anyone else.

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

In your case, if you like the portability but like the backlit keyboard then pay a little extra and get the 2.4UMB. I picked one up last night to take with me as I am away for 3 weeks. I originally had planned to get the top end macbook air, but the silver bezal surround puts me off also the 2.4 is a lot more powerful and not actually any bigger and almost a 1/3 cheaper.

If you need any of the pro features then go pro, otherwise stick with a macbook.

10. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Ok guys, thanks for the input....seems to be a mixed bag of opinions here lol :D

I don't need any of the MBP features, more like I want them...but without sacrificing mobility...grr why can't they have a 13" MBP, I would be all over that baby.

11. JCastro macrumors 6502a

It travel internationally constantly with a 15" MBP. Most bags and cases will fit the 13" or 15". You might as well go for the one that has the power. I went from a 14" PC to the 15" MBP and love the extra landscape. The weight is not much of an issue. All MBP's have backlit keyboards too. I love it!

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

JC

12. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Well, what do you use your MB for? I would highly recommend bumping up to the 2.4 (I bought mine Friday night and love the performance) at the very least. If you need a MBP for graphics-intensive apps then go for it. Otherwise, why spend the extra money for something you don't need?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would get the MacBook Pro if the larger size isn't an issue; you'll have computer that has a better display panel, dual video cards if needed; the MacBook is a nice machine, but the MacBook Pro is just better :D

14. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Ok guys i went with the 2.4GHz 15.4" MBP. I'm glad I did, he extra real estate is a total bonus as is the quality of the MBP's display. The backlit KB is awesome becuiase I do a lot of computing in the dark with my notebooks before I go to bed. I noticed the sound is also much better, I guess due to the perforations above the speakers.

The one downside I find is that the display doesn't seem as stiff as it was on the 13" MB. For instance if I open this guy up and set it at anything over a 45 degree angle it seems a little wobbly, or if I pick it up by the front of the base the display will slowly tilt back further quite easily. The MB's displauy was definately tighter. I'm guessing because this display is heavier or should I take it back and exchange it? Or is this normal?

Anyways guys thanks!:)

15. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Hmm I did some googling on the MBP unibody hinge and it seems that infact there is an issue with it being looser than the 13" MB.

Don't get me wrong its not bad or a deal breaker or anything, just a minor gripe.