unibody mbp 10.5.7 update: fixes any mbp specific issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jottle, May 12, 2009.

1. Jottle macrumors 6502

Anyone installed the 10.5.7 updates and noticed fixes that some thought were hardware related?

Specifically:

1. graphics distortion on flash videos
    2. blinking screen (screen turns black for a split second)
    3. flickering screen (screen flickers in brightness intensity very rapidly on lower brightness settings. Usually on only one nvida card, sometimes both.)
    4. battery draining quickly in sleep mode? (may not be a real issue as 1% an hour seems typical)

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Yes, I have noticed 2 major fixes.

1: it fixed the flashing text while scrolling or playing back flash videos.
    2: it fixed the jumpy playback of 1080p videos.

Here's a quote from the update page.

Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That was my major complaint so if you say it fixed it, I would say this is worth the wait and download especially for unibody users. I was also hoping there would be a driver update (to improve CI/QE) but I guess I'll wait until 10.6 to see if that gets addressed.

4. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I didn't really suspect this was a hardware issue, but it's still a MBP issue that has been fixed (for me, at least ... *knock on wood*).

Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, my unibody MBP stopped sleeping per the time I had set in my energy saver preferences (it would sleep when I went to the :apple: and chose "sleep" and it would sleep when I closed the lid, but wouldn't time out on its own). By process of elimination and trial and error, I figured out it had something to do with my airport not wanting to relinquish it's power; I installed an app called Wireless Sleeper and that fixed it.

Today I downloaded 10.5.7 and when I restarted to finish the installation, I disabled the Wireless Sleeper app. I left it alone for a while and came back to find it had gone to sleep on its own just like it used to - without an add-on third party app. :D

Whatever else may be fixed or improved, I am very happy that my MBP seems to be sleeping on it's own again. *knocking on wood again*

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think that the macbook pros have a hardware defect with the screen or the gpu. Because I noticed my 2.53GHz mbp which was purchased around decemeber had the low level backlight flickering issue and I still hear about them today. 10.5.5, 10.5.6. and now 10.5.7. is out and I am convinced its a hardware issue.

6. Feng Shui macrumors regular

I noticed the boot and shut-down speed are faster, compared to before the update. Might just be my mind playing tricks on me though.

7. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I updated my 3 month old 17" Unibody MacBook Pro, and the screen is FINALLY bright. After the installation of 10.5.7 and the reboot, I was almost blinded. Also, my battery is at 93% and saying 7:48 mins left. That's at half brightness, wifi on, and bluetooth off. I'm very happy.

8. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I was afraid of that. :( --- Had hoped 10.5.7 might fix the backlight flicker, but wasn't holding my breath.