Unibody MBP 17" Screen whine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chinny4290, Feb 23, 2010.

1. chinny4290 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Do any of you get a high pitched screen whine from your MBP?

Mine's a 2009 model, bought in Sept.

Overall, I love the machine to death and as a DJ it's allowed me to mix and record flawlessly.

I only seem to get a screen whine when the brightness is around this level, give or take 2 or 3 notches.

[​IMG]

And it's not coming from the speakers because when theyre muted I can still hear it. And it gets really annoying, especially when I can hear it when there's other ambient noise such as my TV.

My old Palm LifeDrive had this same screen whine except it was god awful and everyone said there's nothing they can do...but that's several years ago.

So since time has passed, can Apple do anything to fix this?

Additionally, long story short, my original unibody MBP I bought got stolen 3 weeks after buying it so AMEX covered it and I bought a new one scott free. That original MBP didn't have the screen whine this newer one has. My roomate also has a 13" MBP unibody, bought the same time as mine and doesn't have the screen whine.

What say you guys?

thanks!

2. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I'd probably run it by your local :apple: store to be on the safe side. Let the experts take a look at it and worst case scenario it should be covered under warranty. Good Luck!

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I just tried it and I can't hear anything. Take it to an Apple Store and have them look at it.