Unibody MBP 3-Finger Tap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xef6, Dec 23, 2008.

1. xef6 macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm a member of the Multiclutch following, and I positively LOVE the level of control it gives me in various applications. It's been bugging me though, about a gap in options! I have tap-to-click enabled, so there's 1 finger tap to click. There's 2 finger tap to right click. There's also 4 finger tap to select an app in the application switcher.

But no 3 finger tap! It would work beautifully for me if bound to be a middle-click event. I cannot find ANY mention of this, anywhere. The only results I can find are mentions of the bootcamp XP issue with two-finger taps.

So here's my question: Is there any way to expose a 3-finger tap as another event? :confused:

2. sclough macrumors regular

I wouldn't think so. So far the only way I know of to map new gestures support is to use multi clutch ( http://wcrawford.org/2008/02/28/everytime-i-think-about-you-i-touch-my-cell/ ). If you notice the last post on the blog someone has looked at a 3 finger tap and hasn't been successful with Apple's undocumented api. Multi-clutch also hasn't been updated to support the new 4 finger gestures. Still, it's a great app.

3. T10HJS macrumors member

4 finger tap? there isn't one its a 4 finger swipe to change applications.
    This is most probably why there is neither a 3 finger tap, just the 1 & 2.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm tapping for fingers right now and nothing's happening.

4. yoavcs macrumors regular

Swiping left/right with 4 fingers brings up the App Switcher.

Now, you could move the mouse pointer to the app you want and 1-tap it to select that app, OR,

you can lift 2 fingers off the trackpad and 2-finger swipe left/right to move the highlight to the app you want, then you 4-finger tap and that app is selected.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you swipe left/right you see all your apps open, then you use two fingers to scroll left/right between them. Once you've done that and select the app you want to use, you use 4 fingers to tap and it will select that program.

6. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Any news about the elusive 3-finger tap?

I've noticed Firefox has a gesture called: browser.gesture.tap

By default its assigned to cmd_FullZoomReset. I tried to assign it to something I would notice and then I tried tapping with 1,2,3 and 4 fingers. Nothing happened

If the 4-finger tap works the 3-finger must work as well!

7. Cicciokun macrumors newbie

MiddleClick

Yes, problem solved!!! ;) MiddleClick is the answer: http://clement.beffa.org/labs/projects/middleclick/ :p

PS
    in the last comments you can find my icons if you don't want to wait author updates the program! :cool:

PSS
    browser.gesture.tap don't work in no way :(

8. xef6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Late response, but THANK YOU <3
    My browsing experience just got that much better :D

9. macgirl89 macrumors member

There isn't a 3-finger tap, but there is a 3-finger swipe. If you use it in Safari you can go Back or Forward without having to click those buttons.

10. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Read the thread genius. There is a 3 finger tap.

11. aresinferno macrumors regular

Use BetterTouchTool instead.

True, there isn't one normally, but there is if you use another app to make it work.

Using another app yes. Normally, no.

12. macgirl89 macrumors member

Testy today, aren't we?

As aresinferno said, there is only a 3-finger tap when you add an application to make it that way. The 3-finger tap is not an inherent function.

13. bware189 macrumors member

I've been playing around with Middle-click for the past 2 days and have noticed that the functionality is indeed limited. It would be cool to at least get a better interface, or to add a middle-click function to the list of gestures in multiclutch. Sadly neither of these feature apps aren't really being updated.

14. xef6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, sorry to side against you but that's not what this thread is about. If you read anything that's gone on, it should be clear we are talking about the gestures that aren't built-in from apple.

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

bettertouchtool is based on multiclutch and has support for 3 finger tap, 3 finger click, 4 finger tap, 5 finger tap, and swipes with all numbers of fingers in all directions

16. xef6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the reference, the customizability is pretty impressive, along with the other new gestures.

Agreed.

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

best part is he/she is actively working on it, they seem to be releasing updates every few days to improve it (and its already very good)

18. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Thats a brilliant app. Heres a link for anyone else interested: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/32953/bettertouchtool

19. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

oh man, i know this is an old thread, but i just got a new mbp and was searching for multitouch stuff and came across bettertouchtool, and it is godsent. i now have 3 finger tap to open a new tab, 3 finger swipe down opens spaces, and 3 fingers swipe up is command + w (close tab)

i love ittt

20. xef6 thread starter macrumors newbie

pretty heinously slow response, but i wanted to say congrats!
    my reaction to finding bettertouchtool was pretty much the same: :eek::D:apple::cool:

ENJOY!

21. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Yes, I recently downloaded this and LOVE it. It even enables window snapping!

22. Kneedragon macrumors newbie

I use BetterTouchTool as well and it works great.

Here's a tip that I use: disable the four finger left/right swipe to activate app switcher in System Preferences. Then add the four finger left swipe in BTT to activate app switcher, and then add a four finger right swipe to activate Spaces.

There is also JiTouch, which has more complex gestures. I've had trouble doing some of the gestures, but I use a three-finger tap to open links in new tabs for Firefox.

23. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

+1 for BTT, it's extremely customizable.

24. Snookerman macrumors 6502

Thank you so much for this, I really wish Apple will implement this soon. Just click the live view and you can see how great the touchpad is, there is so much more it can do than what apple offers.

25. zenoran macrumors regular

buy jitouch you won't regret it... recent upgrades absolutely blow away the internal gesture support in osx... you're not fully experiencing the awesomeness of your mbp's trackpad without jitouch imo. :)