unibody mbp; audio pops w/ headphone... anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iwanttogarden, Oct 31, 2008.

1. iwanttogarden macrumors member

Only hearable with headphones on. It could be there in the speakers too, but it would be too low to hear.
    It's a slight and subtle audio pop at the beginning of sounds.
    It sounds like the sound-card is being 'started'.
    The 'pop' or 'click' sound is independent of the volume. It is consistently low even if you have volume way up.

Happens only when there is no sound for like 2-3 minutes and then a sound alert triggers or you play a song and it'll 'pop' right at the beginning of the sound. Happens pretty frequently though.

So no one else notices this?

I'm going to try with different headphones... maybe these AKG studio headphones isn't playing nice with the new MBP. Which I'm hoping but doubt it. Kind of sucks, so far everything is pretty good except for a loose battery cover and this. Hate to exchange a pretty near-perfect MBP for probably something that might be worse :(

2. iwanttogarden thread starter macrumors member

Okay, well I spoke to a few people and it seems it's because MBP will turn off the soundcard to save power ( even when i have a power adapter plugged in).

But yea, it'll show up on headphones only because they don't have amps.

Everyone should be experiencing this.
    Can other MBP owners confirm this so I know for sure it's not just me?
    By the way, it's harder to pick up the static pop sound on cheap headphones (since everything sounds pretty bad :p)

3. virtuatony macrumors regular

As long as it doesn't sound like R2D2 it's normal.

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

5. virtuatony macrumors regular

is toot toot suppose to be a cute way to describe the sound the dvd-drive makes when the computer is turned on or wakes from sleep?

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Haha, not sure...there's a thread here where someone says their MBP is making that sound on startup and then randomly every now & then...a bunch of us were hoping for a recording of it.