Unibody MBP Battery Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FinalCutJay, Feb 4, 2009.

1. FinalCutJay macrumors member

So i've been debating with myself as to how I am expecting the battery life to perform vs. how it should be performing.

in November I picked up the Unibody MBP 2.53HGz. I'd say this machine gets low to moderate use. When i do use it for extended periods of time i've got it plugged in. I exclusively use this machine on better performance and have felt that since day one the battery life doesn't seem all there.

On average i lose 1% battery life per 1 minute of use. When i am using it via the battery i generally don't use it long enough to drain the battery, but the charge is always significantly diminished.

I've been avoiding bringing to the apple store, but now i am have additional issues with the machine so i think its time to have it looked at.

How is apple with regards to replacing the battery? Do they take my word on it? do they hold my machine for days and run tests on the battery?

my other issues that have arisen are when connecting an external monitor i get millions of red dots popping up all over the screen. you have to do a considerable amount of jiggling to make them go away.

also noticed when i use it for recreation World of Warcraft. it used to run at 40-60 fsp and now seems to be averaging 12-20 fps. The longer the machine is running the choppier the frame rate gets.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If you have already calibrated the battery and still have this issue then i would definitely take it to the store.

Also, check the stats on your battery with coconut.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, they'll test your battery, and to be honest, they'll probably tell you it's fine.

Secondly, the red dots are definitely not normal.

Thirdly, the framerate gets choppy after your machine has been used for a long time because the RAM is still allocated to other software, even software you may have just quit. It'll just take a while for your machine to realize that you need all that RAM for important stuff like gaming. ;)

4. MrLap macrumors newbie

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That sir, is an oxymoron.

6. FinalCutJay thread starter macrumors member

contrary to popular belief not all people play wow 24/7. in fact i just deactivated my account because i have a film to cut now and not much time for WoW. So thank you for your insightful comment.

for the people who actually had something useful to say, thanks for taking the time.

I was just wondering if anyone else uses their Unibody MBP on best performance and what kind of battery life they are experiencing. personally 1% per minute seems weak. Leaving the machine in sleep mode for 20 minutes or restarting the computer diminish the battery life by 5%

i noticed the framerate is choppy regardless of what i was doing before hand. even if i have just turned the machine on and started playing.
    prior to getting the MBP I was playing on my PPC 2.5Ghz Quad, NVIDIA 256MB GeForce 7800 GT, with 10GB Ram.

When i first got the MBP and played the performance differences where night and day. Now it seems the Quad is outperforming my MBP. i definitely see a diminished performing coming from the new machine. The dots are either and issue of the dongle or the connection into the logic board.

I've really been apprehensive about taking it in for service, but thinking about how much i spent on this machine i'm not happy with the performance.