unibody MBP+bootcamp XP issue (need support)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ftbps macrumors member

Hello All,

Before I ask for help, I want to thank all you you visiting my thread. Please share your experiences and see if you can help me resolve my issue. Please do not use this thread for discussing general issues, lets keep this for my specific issue. Appreciate your help.

I have a unibody MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram. I recently installed XP Pro using boot camp and installed bootcamp drivers using the MBP disks. Everything got installed, got XP updated to SP3. Now obviously, the machine gets hotter on XP than on the OSX. Accepted!

Now here are my different experiences:

1) MBP was sitting on a carpet, booted on XP, started playing a video on youtube, after about 2 minutes I got a XP blue screen of death and the computer restarted.

2) I reinstalled XP with all the drivers and same thing happened.

3) Went and purchased and fan cooler pad for my MBP and kept it underneath to keep it cool. Now I do not get the blue screen, but everytime i start playing a video either on youtube (flash) or a video using Windows media on internet, I get a IE or Flash error and the internet explorer crashes. Same thing happens if I use IE, Firefox, safari..

4) Now again I reinstalled XP and installed the new NVIDIA 9600 M GT driver form their website for notebooks. This driver did not detect the video card, but had to manually add it into the system through add new hardware. Now the NVIDIA driver did get updated nicely. Still the same crash on playing a video. This time I have the fan cooler underneath. Now i did a bit different. On flash settings i disabled the hardware acceleration and the flash video started playing nicely. But kept getting error on WMP video.

5) I was happy to know that atleast the youtube video works with disabling the hardware acceleration. Now if i take my MBP out form the cooling pad and keep it on my carpet, within few seconds I get a crash. Now i am frustated.

6) So i went to OSX and selected the 9600M GT card and tried to pay a video by keeping my MBP on carpet. Everything works fine. My MBP is hot, fans running at 4000 and video working just fine.

Now I am scared, is this a hardware problem or it is just a driver issue. XP is supposed to run cooler. This is strange. Now how can you all help me. This will help all of us here. If this is a hardware issue, how to explain this to apple? One thing I forgot to mention, when my IE was crashing in XP just before that I was seeing few lines on my video.

I am eagerly waiting for your response.

Thanks,
    Bipin

2. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Mine blue screens sometimes when I accidently go from using my mouse to touching the trackpad (while trying to do the 2 finger scroll).

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have your tried reinstalling Flash? From what I understand Flash in Windows is a lot better than the ones in Linux and OS X.

4. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

Tried uninstalling + installing flash. NOw I installed Vista and my machine froze in vista while watching a movie online. I am suspecting it is the NVDIA problem. Need your support.
    Thanks,
    Bipin

5. MaXaLoTL macrumors newbie

Hmmm I've been using my MBP (same spec as yours) with XP SP3 since i got it a couple of months ago, and yes it gets ridiculously hot even when not gaming. I had to do a lot of searching for nVidia drivers as the Apple ones are beta drivers from YEARS ago! never had a blue screen before in my time using XP though. For drivers try laptopvideo2go.

6. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

All, please help me understand my problem of IE crashing in bootcamp XP and sometimes blue screen?

Thanks,
    Bipin

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This is HIGHLY doubful, but maybe bad XP install? This would be the first time I've seen someone experience BSOD with Windows on a Mac. Knowing that all MacBook Pro's have basically the same hardware and the fact that very little if any has experienced the BSOD on Mac, the only variable could cause your BSOD would be the installation. Again, MacBook Pro, many users, no BSOD, flash player, installed/uninstalled many times, wouldn't be software. The only thing left to actually blame would be OS. Again highly doubtful but you've basically did all the troubleshooting. I would try to get another copy of Windows and install it again.

8. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

On XP the 9600M GT seems to be running at "Performance 3D" mode all the time instead of switching dynamically. That does not happen with Vista and seems to be a driver bug.

I recommend setting it to "Low Power 3D" mode via RIVATUNER instead. Here's a howto: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7379947&postcount=12

Nevertheless the BSOD should not happen that easily, so there seems to be something wrong with your installation/movie playback.

Also make sure to install the latest Touchpad drivers from the Apple website. Those are not listed by the Apple Software Update applications (what is it good for? absolutely nothing!), but need to be downloaded manually.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

if you read the owner's manual you'll discover that it's not recommended to be placed on soft surfaces, cause it'll reduce cooling via conductivity. Then again, common sense would of told you the same thing. no? :rolleyes:

what happens if you use the machine on a wooden top? does it still crash?
    Try installing some temp monitors, maybe this will give you some idea of your system temps...
    I'm thinking 85~90°C+

10. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

I even tried keeping my MBP on a fan based cooling pad and it still gives me error while playing flash or any movie. Also after some time does a BSOD. Now I tried installing 2 different kinds of XP disks and it does not work. But I do not get this issue on OSX. Can this be a GPU hardware issue?

Thanks,
    Bipin

11. infitom macrumors newbie

My 15" unibody also BSOD running video and other times in Bootcamp

I've been experiencing this problem for months, am very technical, and highly motivated to fix this problem. Mine has been going on since day one, since installing Bootcamp on my new 15" Macbook Pro Unibody 15". Here are a couple of facts:

• Windows XP SP2 (not SP3 yet)
    • Bootcamp Drivers that came with Leopard
    • Does it on a cooler or not on a cooler
    • Does not matter if I run fans very fast or slow (ex--I can make fans run faster by booting into Leopard, SMCFanControl, then reboot into XP with fans at 5000 RPM), still BSOD
    • Tried base NVIDIA Video Card Drivers from Bootcamp
    • Tried updated ones from NVIDIA
    • Changing from NORMAL to PERFORMANCE in OSX does not matter
    • Does it on a table, CPU Cooler, with a Goat, In a Boat, Here and There, BSOD Everywhere!
    • It runs 100% stable in OSX.

It feels like a driver issue, but cannot find anyone/anywhere that has a suggestion or fix.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I like Parallels, but sometimes want and need to run XP natively.

Tom Johnson
    214-288-4326

p.s. I'm putting out a Bounty--A free Starbucks Latte or other beverage to anyone that can help.