Unibody MBP dropping network?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewsof07, Nov 25, 2008.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I'm having trouble with my new mbp disconnecting from my unprotected home network while browsing. It doesn't seem like a time out because it occurs from one page going to the next. I lose signal entirely and disconnect from the network, but my network is still visible in the airport menu and I have to manually reconnect.
    This leads me to think it's a problem with the mbp and not my router because I'm not losing signal strength, I'm just being removed from the network for no reason?

2. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

FWIW, there are extensive threads on this on the Apple support forums for the older MBPs (dating back to their first release), as well as countless blog postings detailing things to try to fix.

There have been 4 Airport updates for Leopard/MBP, and it seems that none have fixed the problems for all.

In fact in my case update 004 began to trigger this connection issue (applied end of Oct) on my MBP... otherwise it had been stable since purchased in April.

It seems two things may be faulty... the Broadcom wifi cards themselves seem touchy, and replacing this may cause things to work again. Secondly there seem to be odd bugs in the network drivers/stack that Apple just can't find the way to fix. In my case I wasn't able to return to a reasonable amount of stability until reinstalling Leopard (10.5.2), then running the 002 and 004 updates. I'm connecting to the latest AEBS, so it's all apple hardware in my situation.

I'm not aware of the extent of how this would affect the new MBPs, but it's a fair chance the same mini-PCI wifi adapters are being used, as well as the drivers.

3. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Thanks Beau, I had the previous gen and had this same issue before the last airport update and it was fixed. Since I got my new unibody, it has been continuing. It's really annoying, especially if I'm in the middle of filling out an online form, browser email or such.
    Anyone else having this trouble on their unibody mbp?