unibody MBP fails to sleep with lid open?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donbenjy, Nov 26, 2008.

1. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Hey, my MBP won't ever sleep when I have Safari open and the lid open. I searched but couldn't find anything, but apologies if there's already a thread about this. If I look in system.log in Console, I get:

Code:
    Nov 26 07:38:21 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 39844, Safari)
    Nov 26 07:38:21 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel
    Nov 26 07:43:20 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 39844, Safari)
    Nov 26 07:43:20 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel
    Nov 26 07:43:22 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 39844, Safari)
    Nov 26 07:43:22 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel
    So Safari clearly isn't letting the MBP go to sleep, but I don't know how to find out why it's sending that message :(

Not always, but sometimes there's a video (BBC iPlayer, which uses RealPlayer IIRC) or audio recording playing, and I want it to sleep after the video/audio finishes...I don't think it's necessarily to do with this though because it will still sleep the display, and you'd think it'd keep it from doing that.

This problem occurs on both battery and power, so if I leave it without the power plugged in, it's usually hibernated because the battery has run down, which is really annoying!

Any ideas?

2. LeonAnderson macrumors newbie

3. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

Not just Safari, but I don't have Firefox open. I don't use Firefox often at all (actually, I think it's the second time I've launched it on my MBP)! Have you tried looking at your system.log? See if it reports something in there similar to what I'm getting?

It's in Applications->Utilities->Console

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

certain apps do prevent automatic sleep, meaning after the set amount of idle time. quicktime does this when playing a video. I don't know of any that prevent the computer form sleeping at all though. weird.

5. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry yeah, I do mean automatic sleep - it works if I press sleep from the Apple menu, but the point is, I want it to automatically sleep...I'd have thought that it isn't the same thing as quicktime preventing it, as that stops the display from sleeping too, and it does that...

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

safari will block the sleep command if it's using a video player plugin. What website are you on?

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

My iMac won't sleep with youtube on Safari.

Strange that now I don't even have Safari opened, and it still doesn't sleep automatically. I noticed this only happens after the 10.5.5 update.

Does anyone with QuickSilver experience their macs not sleeping automatically? That's the only app I installed recently.

8. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

So sometimes I have a BBC iplayer (uses RealPlayer) window open, and for the past week I've had a few youtube videos paused, but there. Will just the presence of a video object cause it to not sleep? Is there a way around this at all? I'd rather have it sleep and just pause or stop the video tbh...if I'm watching it, it'll never be idle for long enough as you need to nudge it to stop the display dimming.

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I know this sounds a lil drastic. But I guess the only way is a OSX reinstall. Then, install apps one at a time until you can pinpoint the exact problem. With a new OS without any app installed initially, see if your mac sleeps automatically.

10. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

er...did you see the system.log output in my first post? It's clearly Safari that's stopping it (scroll to the right). Those two lines are repeated all night, but googling the pid or IOPMrootDomain doesn't give me anything useful. I don't know whether the pid is an internal number, or if it's some kind of error or status code that I can look up somewhere...