Unibody MBP GPU/CPU tests, temps and fan speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by six.four, Dec 7, 2008.

1. six.four macrumors 6502

I have a stock 2.4ghz P8600 unibody MBP.

windows:
    -------------
    My first test is on stock bootcamp drivers in Windows XP running 3dmark 06. Ambient temps are around ~65 F or ~18.3 C

I recorded temps throughout the benchmark (GPU-Z and CoreTemp) and the temps on the GPU and CPU reach temps of 95 C on both. I ran the benchmark several times and each time with the same result. Idle temps seem to be around 63 C for the GPU and 55 C for the CPU.

What I did notice was that even after running the benchmark several times - the fans never got to an audible level - my guess is that the fans never made it over 4k rpms.

*My judgment on fan speed is entirely unscientific as I could not find an app to monitor fan speed in windows that played nice with the MBP. The fan speed was judged by comparing audible levels to the levels in OS X, where I used iStat pro to monitor the fan speeds.

While the body certain FEELS alot cooler than my classic MBP with the 8600gt and merom CPU, the temps were actually higher than I ever got when I ran stress tests on my Classic.

I ran a heavily overclocked 8600m gt @ 590/820 (higher clocks than the stock 9600m) and the GPU never reached over 87 C - but the fans would be blaring after about 15 minutes of intense use.

The CPU (stock) on my 2.4ghz merom never reached over 92 C when fully loaded - but again - the fans would be blasting when stress tested and temps would level off at about 90 C.

Running prime95 with Small FFT's (windows' version of dev/ null") for about 15 minutes - the temps reach 95 C on the CPU (90 C on GPU), before the fans kick in at a low audible level and brings the temps back down to about 80C for the CPU and 76 C for the GPU (prime95 is not a GPU stress test). The low audible level for my fans is about 3.5 - 4k rpm.

os x:
    -------------
    Same ambient conditions as above - I ran dev/null for about 20 minutes with the 9600m active. The CPU gets up to about 90 C before the fans slowly kick in - and they reach about 2900 rpms - which is nearly inaudible. The fans never reach higher than 2900 rpms and the temps are stable at 84 C after about 5 minutes. The GPU never makes it over 83 C and hovers around 67 C for the GPU, 76 C for the GPU diode.

the tests lead me to think the fans are too conservative in windows - but are much better adapted in OS X.
    --------------

It seems when the fans do kick in, they are very adequate for cooling. However, the issue in windows seems to be that the fans don't really kick in until the GPU/CPU gets dangerously hot.

I'm interested to here what others' experiences are with their unibody MBPs.

2. lscangus macrumors 6502

Mine has similar temperature as well.

Have u tried to do a gpu and CPU test at the same time in windows to simulate a dual-core gaming condition?

3. six.four thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't had a chance to run a stress test on the GPU just yet, but I did run it on my Classic to make sure my overclock was stable.

I am concerned that if I don't ease it in and the fans don't kick in soon enough I may hit the Tjunc on the GPU or CPU.

I'll consider giving it a shot tomorrow, but I'm looking into trying some third party drivers to see if a change in drivers will do anything. My Classic ran 3rd party drivers and worked wonderfully.

4. essence25 macrumors newbie

A good utility for testing temps in XP is Everest Ultimate Edition. Also to see the gpu temp install EVGA Precision. Will overlay GPU temp over the
    game screen corner.

Running late 2008 MBP 2.53ghz XP sp3. 15"

Left GRID for about 40minutes until MBP got hot and using a temp gun I got the temps of the case:

Left side right of the LCD hinge max temps 52(c), Bottom same area got max 56(c) on the case bottom.
    GPU between 80-90(c)

I've also determined that the unit will be cooler if one uses 1/2" rubber standoffs at the back of the MBP so it wont be too close to the desk. Desk gets hot, and heats up the MBP even more. No need to stick them just sit them under.

Also using a XBOX 360 Wireless Joystick on MBP USB port that is closer to the Firewire port does not work. No matter what the joystick will not bind to the receiver. The USB port towards the front of the unit works fine. (might need reboot with the receiver plugged in) It also stops working sometimes if you plug it in and out while in XP, hence the need for reboot with it plugged in.

WTF is going on with the other USB port and this adapter...

What do you guys think of the temps I read off the MBP body...

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

set the fan speed with SMC before windows boot to MAX.

This will give you a better comparison on your numbers. They are a bit higher on the new system cause well, its cooling less!

The firmware has already been updated once, I wouldnt be surprised if it gets another go in a few months.

then again, are the clocks on the VC the same in windows as in OSX? curious...

6. essence25 macrumors newbie

Well I did not leave the fan running initially because once I run the game the fans start up to max 6000K+ rpm so I left it like that for 40 min to stabilize.

No matter how long it runs the temps I got are always around there.

I will take some screenshots from everest for the internal temps etc.

Conclusion is that MBP runs hot no matter what when on the 9600GT and at load. The only thing is xp needs better drivers to keep it cooler while in normal load mode or browsing web etc. It is hotter than in OSX under same conditions (non gaming) Unless I reboot with fans running from OSX as you suggested.

Also OSX needs some serious work to properly run games etc. Not even vsync support... Long way to go. I hope they will work on the BootCamp drivers for better XP heat management. We'll see....

Merry Christmas everyone !!!

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

the results show that to prolong the longevity of your Mac, it would be advisable to completely uninstall Windows & use OS X exclusively, which would also have added health benefits like reducing frustration that leads to stress.

8. essence25 macrumors newbie

LOL, returning it back to Apple(try again bzzttt) and wait a few years would probably be the best stress prevention remedy. ;-)

9. solusoracle macrumors member

In OS X, my Unibody MBP 2.53 CPU with the 9600 hits more than a 100 Celsius (usually 105) before the fans kick in at all. The GPU reaches around 90 Celsius at the same time.

I believe this has caused my MBP to crash consistently during WoW after 5 minutes due to overheating. If I stay in the same area until the fans kick in, and then start to move around, the system cools down and does not skip a beat for hours.

I believe Apple need to address this issue. Fans do NOT kick in fast enough, users should not have to resort to using programs such as SMC Fan Control to achieve a usable system.

I have phoned up Apple Care about this issue and requested that they keep these findings on my file in case a component fails in the future. They admitted that these temperatures were high but 'within range'.