Unibody MBP: internal microphone issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lordthistle, Feb 6, 2009.

1. lordthistle macrumors 6502

No one can hear me on Skype any more. The noise introduced in the conversation by the internal microphone is very high. I have checked the reduction of ambient noise, and set the "volume" to have the tick in the middle of the scale (I tried various settings, the noise doesn't change).

Is there anyone with a similar problem? And, even better, anyone with a solution that will not require a service?

- thistle

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I find that if the computer fan is spinning, there will be noise from internal microphone.

Make sure your MBP is properly ventilated.
    Try different settings within skype and test them out?

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never understood why notebook manufacturers, including Apple, insist on putting the microphone on the base of the notebook, where fan/hard drive/keyboard noise can interfere, instead of putting it on the top of the display, like the iSight camera, where it would be more removed from those noise sources. I know there must be a reason, but I have no idea what it is!

5. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks very much for the replies.

I had no problems in using the internal microphone on my past macbook, or macbook pro (early 2008). I tried several settings, without any significant success. The noise is strong also when I record my voice using audacity, so I don't think it's related to some skype algorithms.

About PRAM. For almost every problem the apple notebooks have, I read about resetting PRAM. Are you aware of any relation between PRAM and microphone? If you are, can you send me some pointers?

thanks

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt resetting PRAM would have any effect, since nothing related to the microphone is stored there.
    Mac OS X: What's stored in PRAM

7. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if I push up this thread, but no one told me if the mic on their unibody MBP is fine or not. Is my mic defective? Is a strong noise normal on the unibody?

With my early '08 MBP the mic was simply perfect.

8. jctevere macrumors 6502

I am not sure if my opinion will be of much help, but I have the new late 2008 unibody Macbook, (not pro) and I have never experienced any loud background noise or anything that would interfere with the microphone recording sound. I am not positive if the circuitry between the macbook and the macbook pro is much different putting the microphone in the pros much closer to hardware that causes interference, but I doubt apple would release a system design that would have this big of a problem; it surely would have been caught in the development process. I would recommend taking it to your nearest apple store ASAP to have it checked out and hopefully replaced. At best maybe it is just a driver/firmware update, but they might need to replace the mic. If they deny that you have a problem or that anything is their fault and don't fix it, try to use ichat or some other applications that use the microphone and see if you have the same result. If you do, then you know the problem is with the microphone, either, it is just a problem with skype. Good luck finding the source of the problem!

9. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I have recorded my voice using audacity and the noise is strong.