Unibody MBP/Invisible Shield & Heat Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JayKay321, Jan 8, 2009.

1. JayKay321 macrumors member

A questions for all of those who have any sort of invisible shield (zagg, bse, bodyguardz etc etc) on their Unibody MBP (or MB for that matter).

Anyone having any issues with the cpu reaching dangerously high temperatures? I heard that the invisible shield is particularly bad because it insulates the aluminum on the mbp, thereby not allowing it to properly dissipate heat. This is one of the things that's preventing me from pulling the trigger on getting one.

2. UVa.Jester macrumors member

I have been wondering the samething, but I went ahead and ordered my zagg shield... I actually got it in the mail tonight. I have been reading about people using these, but dont recall seeing anything about heat issues... I am hoping someone with one of these installed will reply...

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Not a problem at all, I used my Incase Hard shell for a long while, and the temp increase for no more than a couple degrees fahrenheit if I remember.

If you worry about cooling, download smcfancontrol, and adjust the fan speed accordingly.

4. johata3 macrumors regular

purchasing a cooling pad would be another idea.

5. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

No problems at all on non-unibody

I have been using my Zagg Full Body Shield since day 1 on my 17" MacBook Pro (see sig). No problems at all. I love it. It looks great and protects very well. I do not care for the shield over the touchpad much, but, the material just went through a redesign and the new ones are supposed to be better.
    Otherwise, I love it and will get one ASAP when and if I get a new MBP.

6. starman0147 macrumors member

Thinking of buying the invisible shield but wondering about heat issue, anyone had any major problems?

What about in conjunction with Applecare, does it void it in anyway if you install it and later you need to get your laptop repaired but Apple put the fault down to the invisible shield (heat issues etc)

7. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I've had no heat issues with the Zagg InvisibleShield. I'm not all that impressed with the Zagg one, though. Not only does it give a textured appearance like the surface of an orange, unlike other brands, but it tends to start peeling off on corners and some edges. I don't think I'll be getting a replacement Zagg shield for my replacement MBP.

It is nice not having the bulk of a Speck/Incase hard shell, though, so I might try a different brand invisible shield.

8. starman0147 macrumors member

What other brands do you suggest?

What about the Invisible Shield, or any other similar product, with Applecare, anyone had any problems?

9. Falch macrumors newbie

been using a wrapsol protection kit for about 4 months, and tbh i havent noticed any diference in temp. using it on my 13" umbp, 2,53
    I absolutly love it! almost invisible, gives the machine a little more grip, and most of all i'm not worried anymore about scratching the machine.
    i am using it both naked (with only the wrapsol on) and together with a speck seethru. had a problem with the speck allowing dust and other particles between the hardcase and the machine, where presure would rub and scratch the machine. the wrapsol eliminated this problem totaly.