Unibody MBP or iMac 24in?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeyt11, Dec 5, 2008.

1. joeyt11 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 12 in 1ghz PB with 768mb ram is going to be retired after this xmas. I'm looking to upgrade to either a 2.4ghz unibody MBP or a 24in 2.8ghz iMac. My powerbook can still be used to do basic tasks (internet, civilization 3, Word), but I'd like to be able to run newer games (Colonization, Age of Empires, etc) and do some occasional Final Cut editing. Budget is about $1800. Please help.

Thanks!

2. descartes macrumors 6502

comes down to whether you need portability. are you keeping the powerbook? the 24" imac is a great machine and decent bang for your buck. but if you need to roam, its going to do you no good.

3. czeluff macrumors 6502

imac

I love my 24" iMac more than any other Mac I've ever owned. If you ARE going to do an iMac i'd suggest waiting until after Macworld, in case they update on Jan 9th.

cz

4. joeyt11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses!
    I will keep the powerbook around for basic web use from the comfort of the couch. Which do you think will stay relevant longer? From what I've read it looks like a new iMac is due at MacWorld but if they release a new one I can just return the one I have and upgrade for a restocking fee.

Thanks again.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd go with the iMac. Absolutely amazing machine. And if you ever want to laze around on the couch, you can still surf MacRumors from the PowerBook.

6. joeyt11 thread starter macrumors newbie

One Last Question

So if I go with the iMac should I shell out the extra 150 to upgrade the graphics card from the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory? Thanks for all the great responses!

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes. You can't upgrade the GPU later, so it's worth getting as much as you can at purchase time to make the machine last longer. Plus if you play games, the 8800GS is a better card.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The GPU in the MacBook Pro is a bit faster than the 8800GS and significantly faster than the ATi chip in the lower iMac models.

9. Bodine macrumors member

It really depends on if you want or need portability. If you have no need to take your new mac with you anywhere then I think the iMac is a great solution. I have the Intel 3.06 C2D with the 8800GS and it is a great computer, but it is not like I can take this thing on the road with me.

Also, as others have mentioned you should wait until after macworld since there may be an update to the iMac.

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

11. Piaget macrumors member

Since you already have your Powerbook for portability needs, I think the iMac is easily the better option.

12. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The 24in iMac rocks. Just do it. Taking your computer places stinks anyway, other people's desks just aren't the same.

13. Piaget macrumors member

Btw, you're wrong.

The iMac GPU is the 8800M GS not the ridiculously expensive, gamer card 8800M GTS. The 8800M GS is the same card as the 8700M GT (do a google search), so we should be looking at this link: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8700M-GT.3987.0.html.

According to this: 9600M GT > 8800M GS > 2600 XT

neiltc13 had it about right.

That being said, by most accounts, the gaming card on the iMac is more than capable to run most modern games.

14. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Im in a dilema of portability or power Imac 24 or MBA

15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

No you are incorrect. The 24" iMac has the 8800M GTS. Apple claims it to have an 8800 GS, a desktop card, which is clocked the same as the 8800M GTS.

8800M GTS >>> 9600M GT > 8600M GT = 2600 XT

EDIT: http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp05.html

16. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Go for the MBP!! No real reason other than the fact that I don't like desktops that much, even though I treat my laptops as desktops. But knowing that I can unplug them and roam around anywhere in the world means everything to me.

17. batgrrly macrumors newbie

mbp or desktop?

If you are a portable kinda person, remember your laptop only needs to be put on your desk to make it a desk top. If you want to use it at home, remember you can use it as your box and have a bigger monitor and set up with your gaming tools still. But if you really are a serious gamer for hours on end, check into the cooling factor of the laptop, they do run hot. If you get really into a long term game, it may shut itself down. Hmmm:eek:

18. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I just had to sell my 24" iMac to get a MBP
    It was the original 2,16 iMac and I got the 2,5 MBP "classic".

I needed the expresscard slot and a laptop for location.

I have to say that my iMac felt faster than my MBP. It was a great machine, and together with my iBook, it was the perfect combination (until I had the need for an expreescard slot).

Get the iMac, it´s a great machine.

19. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I have a 12 inch PB, and a 24 inch iMac, and I think it's a great combination.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree. Wait until January to see what the upgrades bring (if anything), then decide on whether you need power or portability more. I travel a lot, and even when I don't travel, I like to clear my desk occasionally, and put my MBP away, so for me portability trumps power. In any case, the MBP is an excellent machine, fast, powerful, good spec, excellent performance and that superb screen.

Cheers and good luck