Unibody MBP Overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tirinal, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tirinal macrumors newbie

Before I send my laptop in I was hoping to maybe get a handle on this issue via the forums. Essentially, I'm seeing getting abnormally high temperatures that are starting to worry me. The notebook idles in OSX/Boot Camp at 70C and can climb to 105C when gaming or doing other intensive activities like DVD burning. Note that this is through fans manually set to 6200RPM via smcFanControl. Given that the maximum spec for the dual core cpus is 100C and the computer doesn't even shut down I'm concerned that I may just end up frying the logic board. Letting the grill have more ventilation doesn't do anything particular (the chassis isn't even all that warm to the touch), it's just the temperature monitors that are off the charts.

For whatever it's worth activity monitor acts weird as well, frequently having the CPU % column add up to something like 160% aggregate. Not sure if it's relevant.

Running the latest stuff via software update, but stock everything aside from that. Anything I can do on my end regarding this or should I just drop it off at an Apple store and hope for the best?

Danke.

2. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Short of buying a notebook cooler I'm not sure what else you can do. It sounds like you're blasting the ma out of your fans at 6200rpm and as long as rear of your MBP isn't being obstructed by pillow/blanket/duvet/any obstacle then I think you've exhausted all your options. It simply shouldn't be running that hot. Take it to the Apple store my man!

3. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Hi, I can't really help re the temperatures, but the >100% CPU usage is normal for multicore CPUs. It is written as a percentage out of 200 (2 cores x 100%, so 160% means that you're using 80% of all available CPU time - this could be 100% of one core and 60 of the other, or any other combination that adds up to those two. But it's nothing to worry about.

4. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine