Unibody MBP: Replacing harddrive slows things down? Is that possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adster, Jan 16, 2009.

1. adster macrumors regular

So around Christmas, I bought a Seagate Momentus 500G harddrive for my new Unibody MacBook Pro. (Newegg Link)

Last week I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my harddrive to the Seagate, then made the swap. I used Winclone to copy my Boot Camp partition.

Ever since the swap, my computer has been sluggish as all hell. Sometimes, while clicking the harddrive, it can take 2 or 3 secs just to open the window. Menus system wide are sluggish and don't open immediately when you click on them. I used Activity Monitor to see if things were awry in any way and while memory usage looked to be a bit higher then I remembered, I had no data about what the memory was like before the swap.

So my question is this: Had anyone else encountered this? Does replacing the harddrive affect the system resources? Does that even make sense? Should I format and start from scratch?

Thanks community!

2. sesnir macrumors 6502

I'm just going to throw out a wild guess that I've seen mentioned several times on the forums when it relates to slowness and other strange issues... try repairing permissions in the disk utility. It'll take about 20 minutes.