Unibody MBP Rubber feet replacements...(Possible Solution...)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Son1ze, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Son1ze macrumors newbie

For whatever reason my right front black rubber foot swelled up just slightly and no matter how hard I tried to force it back in it it wasn't fitting properly anymore. Would just creak and pop. Subsequently the lack of a flush fit seal made the double-sided adhesive dry out and the rest is history.

Local Apple Store = Genius Bar appointment = Sorry dude can't help
    Authorized Apple repair center = Don't know what to tell yah man
    Google + eBay = Zilch

Short of jacking one from a display model LOL where the hell can I get stock or replacements of these? It's been a big waste of gas so far. Any clues?

Cheers.

**Edit: Half-assed Solution Achieved

Okay after much BS. Finally got the result I wanted. Results were similar to Disc Golfer's experience. It's more or less impossible to just get the foot so you pretty much have to argue for a whole new bottom plate. Here are the steps I took that you can try. No guarantees that it will for sure work for you but it's worth a try.

1. You need to make sure that the rubber foot just fell off & that there aren't any dents or dings in your bottom plate. If there is you're hooped & more or less guaranteed to get rejected or offer the option of buying a new bottom plate for $49 on the basis of "cosmetic damage" not being covered under the general warranty.

2. Before booking Genius Bar appointment call Apple Tech Support and outline your situation. Not sure if this dependent on who you get on the line but in my experience the tech will spin something along the lines of ... 'As long as there is no damage to the bottom plate then of course the replacement of the rubber feet will be covered under warranty..." If they don't I'd sort lead them down that road myself by playing dumb and using the "I paid big bucks for this MacBook" card. Obviously ask them to make a note everything discussed that's in your favor under the notes on file.

3. Then before letting them go make sure you get a Case ID number for reference and also ask them what your options are should the Genius Bar appointment not go as they indicate. They'll probably tell you that if that's the case then you will have to call back and escalate the case to the next level up from Tech Support which is Customer Relations. (e.g. You call the Tech Support number and ask to be transferred immediately to a Customer Relations Rep.)

4. Book you Genius Bar appointment (try to book two consecutive time slots if possible & add a comment that you were advised by a friend that you could get the rubber feet replaced as well as Tech Support indicating the same deal) and get ready for the BS.

5. Swagger into Apple store calmly with your MacBook. When the guy asks what's wrong (clearly doesn't even read the comments. Lol.) you flip it over and calmly and coolly play dumb & just say something to the effect of, "My laptop started rocking one day so I flipped it over and holy smokes what the eff I'm missing a rubber foot. Where the hell did it go?"

6. Couple things could happen here:

a) You could get a really understanding tech, get your plate replaced, sign a few forms and walk out the joint. Highly unlikely.

b) Instead in my case the 'Genius' will pretend to take your request seriously. Mess around on the comp looking for a specific rubber foot part number which doesn't exist. Tell you one second and take your laptop to the back. Return a few seconds later and tell you that it's not covered under warranty and if you want they can order the part for $49. Hell no!

7. The key now is to not blow your top. Remain cool & and tell them to hang on a sec & that you'll just call up Customer Relations right in the store as advised by Tech Support and that this will all be sorted out in a jiff. Actually do it an call them. In my case my Genius -- who a second ago was adamant that there was no way they'd replace the part for free -- starts getting nervous & antsy tries to wander off to the back for whatever reason.

8. In my case the same Genius magically shows back up with a new bottom case that originally he had to order tells me not to bother with the Customer Relations. I ask why the the sudden 360 change and he gives me the BS excuse that he just made a "one time" executive decision to replace the the part for me. He also states that there's no way I'll get this offer again should it happen again. Yeah okay buddy I think...

So first thing I check is for any defects. None. Then I see that instead of being a generic blank plate without serial it's got another serial number on it so I assumed that he just grabbed anything off the shelf just to get me out of his hair. I asked if I could take the foot off the bottom plate he wanted to replace mine with and just put it on mine. He says no. Now I could have made a stink about this but since the serial number is always under the Apple Menu anyways I really don't care as long as I had the four feet fixed so I just let it slide.

That's my story. Hope it helps.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you contact Apple via phone?

Is your machine still under warranty?

When my iBook's rubber feet came loose, the authorized repairs shop threw them in for free during a logic board replacement.

3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I needed to get one of my unibody mbp's rubber feet replaced once. They (apple store) wouldn't do it. They had to replace the entire bottom panel.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

whaat.. that seems very overkill for a bit of rubber. how much did they make you pay for the bottom panel replacement? :eek:

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I thought it was complete overkill, and shared that opinion with them. If my powerbook loses one of its feet I can go to my local apple reseller's service counter where they have a sheet of sticky feet that they'll just stick on for free. Apparently it's not so easy with the mbp's.

The reason one of the feet needed to be replaced in the first place was that it had a little burr of rubber on it that was putting marks in my tabletops. It was sharp instead of smooth. A lot of my furniture is pretty nice and I'd like to keep it that way so I called apple up to see what we could do to put a stop to it. If the computer wasn't practically brand new I'd have just taken an emery board to it but a new macbook wants to stay shiny. I asked the person whether or not it would be covered under the computer's warranty to which she responded an enthusiastic yes, just visit the apple store and they'll get me sorted right out, I probably wouldn't even have to leave the computer. Great, I think, just like losing a foot on the powerbook. Not. I go down to the apple store and the service counter employee literally laughed at me. Ha! Case damage isn't covered by warranty!. Well that is too bad, because the person on the phone said it was. They ordered the new bottom panel, I came back a couple of days later and they put it on while I waited. They also gave me a receipt that listed some ridiculous amount of money that they acted sort of put out that I wasn't giving them, somewhere around $150ish I think. More than half of it was the astronomical price that they would have charged for labor, $90 to take out ten screws, whoof. It didn't end up costing me anything other than the four bucks for two round trips on the bus.

6. Son1ze thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck guys. Calling tech support, creating a case ID and then going to see Apple Store/geniuses proves to be absolutely useless as one will tell you one thing that's totally opposite what's actually done at the store. They refuse to tell you over the phone whether they're willing to fix it, make you drive all the way down there only to tell you what your gut has already known.

Authorized service centre is a little more useful info-wise but their hands are tied hands without ordering a whole new bottom panel and charging me for it. They say that you more or less have to get through to Customer Relations and get a Case ID/authorization from them...

I can't believe the hurdles you have to jump through just to get a two cent part... :(

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

This is terrible customer service. You might consider using the stevejobs@apple.com email. This is obviously a manufacturing defect.

8. Son1ze thread starter macrumors newbie

The irony here is that the MacBook Pro I currently have is the direct result of contacting Steve Jobs personally via email and complaining of Apple's customer service bungles and dead ends! He responded personally and within two weeks I had new laptop in hand. Now that laptop has me back in the same position. Lol.

Now getting a MacBook Pro free of charge is one thing but I can't honestly see getting any action on the rubber feet issue. Will try to escalate to Customer Relations first and see what comes of that... Might as well let Steve rake in his iPad sales first so that he's in a great mood if I do have to holler at him.

9. MacFan1701 macrumors member

Any updates on this? I'm having this same issue. Apple Store won't do it for free as it's "not under warranty", although it should be since it's a craftsmanship thing.

10. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Any updates on this? I just had one of my feet fall off and there seems to be a black part on the laptop and the other part is what came off. I can't even see how this thing stayed on in the first place because there are just a few parts that stick up and it doesn't appear like anything snapped, more just that the glue came off.
    What do you guys think? Should I just superglue this or take it in?

I have a 15" MBP i5 from last year.

11. gotclawed macrumors newbie

Fix

Ok so the same thing happened my mac. Rather than considering a replacement I used some pads from ikea that are used to put on cupboard doors to dampen the sound. But it seems that a replacement program for certain macs is in operation http://www.apple.com/support/macbook-bottomcase/

12. crimsonidol macrumors newbie

that replacement program is only for macbooks i think. no mention about macbook pros.

13. mhanwell macrumors newbie

Hit the same issue, no luck at all with the "genius"... As my bottom case has a couple of surface scratches he claimed it was accidental damage and not covered. Despite paying for a three year AppleCare plan. I am amazed at the shoddy quality and the lack of customer service. This is a 2010 13" MBP, I am amazed these guys can't stock replacement feet and glue.

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Okay, you acknowledge that you bottom plate has surface scratches. So how can you prove this wasn't accidental damage? And how does this have anything to do with AppleCare?

I swear, the the attitude of entitlement some of you people have is astounding.

15. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

they should at least have an option to purchase the bottom plates for a reasonable price. If I screw it up, I'll pay for it.

Not having rubber feet does seems a little odd. Wah wah pedals you can buy replacement feet for. Strange that you couldn't do it on something like a MBP.

16. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

lighten up Francis.

:D

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    My dad ran into the same issue. He uses his 13" MBP rarely and almost always on a desk. The rubber feet fell off his almost as soon as he got it. Apple wouldn't fix it because they said it was impossible for them to fall off except from misuse. But I use my 13" MBP daily, heavily, carry it everywhere and have never had an issue, while my dad's was barely used before the feet started falling off. He's much less pushy than I am and put sticky pieces of velcro on the bottom so it is high enough to ventilate instead of holding Apple responsible.

It's odd they are so stubborn on this issue because they typically have good service.

18. powerbookmedic macrumors member

19. tvface macrumors newbie

Attached Files: