Unibody Mbp Scratch resistance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

im just wondering how scratch resistant are the new macbook pros, i keep going all OCD on it every-time some one passes in front of my desk and lightly touches it, is it very scratch resistant? am i just a little to worried?

2. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

My stuff generally gets dropped, thrown or generally abused. I only have a couple scratches on my unibody... mostly on the bottom from uneven surfaces

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's pretty scratch resistant. With Aluminum, your main cosmetic concern is dents, not cracks or scratches.

4. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you so much guys btw im in my history class f'n wasted

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I know how you feel!! And for this reason, I buy insurance for my toys. Goes one step beyond AppleCare, I get a replacement instead of a fix-a-upper!

:D

6. ZAK248313 macrumors member

ok

7. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

where did you get this insurance?

8. bliks macrumors member

normal use for me is putting it in my bag carting it to school using it all day then plugging it in at home and using it there... Those conditions have yielded no scratches..

However I have a scratch on the top bezel from when someone moved my laptop and it was touching a ceramic plant container.

So ceramics = not your friend =P

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Have to admit in a weird sort of way I actually don't mind the scratches on a old well used laptop. Shows it been put to full use and gives it character. Obviously one of my bizarre characteristics.....

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Damn. I'd go crazy if I'd have any visible scratches on my laptop. Sure my plastic MacBook is scratched up, but it's hardly visible, and most of them come from that stupid Speck shell!

11. oc2pus macrumors member

Holy ****, it's very vulnerable from my point of view.
    I tried to protect it with the invisibleSHIELD and guess what? - I actually bumped my MBP against a table and now it bears 2 very little (to my eye they're huge!) scratches directly at the unprotected edge of the screen. The invisibleSHIELD does only cover 99,8% of it's surface... this incident was like finding the neelde in a haystack though.

12. N3FF 3000 macrumors newbie

Where can I get a replacement shell/case for just the bottom of my Unibody MBP?

13. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

how possible is it to buff or polish out minor scratching?

14. pnyc macrumors 6502

It's not. The aluminum surface has a "brushed" texture to it so any polishing will dull/remove the texture leaving you with a polished "reflective" spot.

15. rhyx macrumors 6502

Very bad idea unless you want a shiny spot.

16. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

This is the attitude to take. I mean, I hate scratches too, but if it happens I don't worry about it. These aren't Fabergé eggs. They're tools we use for getting work done.

17. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I use the speck case so my MacBooks pro aluminum will never scratch.