Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fried-gold

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Berlin
I bought my unibody mbp back in october last year online. The happiness of having my very first mac pro lasted for about a day before i started to find dead pixels on the screen. That was my first laptop to get sent back for screen problems.

The next two replacements also had dead pixels on them and it wasn't until my fourth laptop i was happy.

6 months later and this computer started to develop about 3-4 glowing white spots on the screen, I sent it back, and they replaced the screen. All good until i found a massive dent in the unibody and scratches from the repair. This got fixed (yup they replaced the whole unibody) and the computer is gleaming, but now two dead pixels have appeared on the screen. Its not enough to warrant sending it back again but i am very annoyed. I love the new unibody MBPs the design is fantastic, and it would be hard to return to any other laptop, but why is it that apple put such crappy screens in them? Its really frustrating, when even cheapest dell laptops come with flawless screens (not saying they are great, just that they are without dead pixels etc).

Just wondering what other peoples views are. Am i being too pedantic? Are my expectations too high? Or is this something annoys that you too?

Anyway was thinking about upgrading in 6 months or so, is this a problem which has been ironed out with the newer MBPs or do they still use the same screens?

PLEASE APPLE SORT IT OUT

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i have bought 30+ unibody models now for customers, which i open and setup. never had one bad pixel...ever.

i did however have one in a plastic book.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
I bought my unibody mbp back in october last year online. The happiness of having my very first mac pro lasted for about a day before i started to find dead pixels on the screen. That was my first laptop to get sent back for screen problems.

The next two replacements also had dead pixels on them and it wasn't until my fourth laptop i was happy.

6 months later and this computer started to develop about 3-4 glowing white spots on the screen, I sent it back, and they replaced the screen. All good until i found a massive dent in the unibody and scratches from the repair. This got fixed (yup they replaced the whole unibody) and the computer is gleaming, but now two dead pixels have appeared on the screen. Its not enough to warrant sending it back again but i am very annoyed. I love the new unibody MBPs the design is fantastic, and it would be hard to return to any other laptop, but why is it that apple put such crappy screens in them? Its really frustrating, when even cheapest dell laptops come with flawless screens (not saying they are great, just that they are without dead pixels etc).

Just wondering what other peoples views are. Am i being too pedantic? Are my expectations too high? Or is this something annoys that you too?

Anyway was thinking about upgrading in 6 months or so, is this a problem which has been ironed out with the newer MBPs or do they still use the same screens?

PLEASE APPLE SORT IT OUT

Yes but where do you stand on the matte v glossy debate?

fried-gold

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Berlin
Do you carry your MBP around in a bag frequently?

Yes, however all of these problems existed from the start when either the whole laptop was new or had recently had the screen replaced, with the exception of the white spots. Also i carry it around in a sleeve and air-tech case so unlikely to be damage from things pressing against it.

However now there is a new slightly more worrying problem...

Sometimes the entire computer freezes just from ordinary use. I have left it for a long time and it does not recover, the only way to fix it is to hold down the power button. When it resets it says that there is no airport card installed. Shutting it down does nothing to solve the lack of detectable airport card; the only way that it detects it is if you again hold down power button until it resets... however give it five minutes and it freezes again... what does this mean?? I know that its not good... :(

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
It sounds like you're having too many problems to just stick with the laptop. I would definately phone AppleCare and explain how many times you've had to return the laptop for either exchange or repair and you're really not happy. They will see you right because Apple's Customer Service is brilliant...even in the UK :)

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Mine has like 10 or 12 now, but its like a 1/4" from the bezel. It not in the central viewing area, so it doesnt bother me unless i purposefully look at it.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
You sir have had some bad luck. That really sucks.

I have one dead pixel just beside the left bezel. It's the first dead pixel I've ever had on a laptop. If you only have two, just ignore them... but the constant freezing... I'd probably start claiming the whole lemon thing and get a complete new machine again. You've had enough trouble to warrant that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.